the lament of mortality

YOU WEAR       YOUR BESTAPOLOGY,          BUT I WASTHERE TO     WATCH YOU LEAVE

YOU WEAR YOUR BEST
APOLOGY, BUT I WAS
THERE TO WATCH YOU
LEAVE. AND ALL THE
TIMES I LET YOU IN,
JUST FOR YOU TO GO
AGAIN. DISAPPEAR
WHEN YOU COME BACK,
EVERYTHING IS BETTER.

YOU USED TO SHINE SO BRIGHT

Over the course of humans existence, there were few things that seemed consistent. One of these being an ideology of eternalization. Living forever. Whether it was an actual idealization of living forever; never aging and being able to survive through history, getting to see the world from the beginning to the end. Or, in most of the humans experiences, this eternal glory was done through their actions. Doing something noteworthy enough to be written about — to have stories and history that bend to them. This goes as far back to the Neanderthals and their drawings across the walls of caves, trying to leave a lasting image upon a rock for the next generation to see. To native tribes with their spoken word ceremonies and tales (most of which lost their sacredness when written onto paper) as they recount the actions of the tribal members that fought bravely in wars. But most of all, history took a note of the eternalization carried by both the Ancient Greeks and Romans. After all, how many of the world's most famous philosophers hailed from these time periods. How many stories do people across the world know about them? It was a simple thing that they had done, making their mark across history. And, in the end, they were the ones to make their mark on eternity. Etching their names into the very fabric of the universe around them — because not one person in the modern world didn't know at least something about the Ancient Romans and Greeks.

Coincidentally enough, it was also during the time that history was being made that people actually learned more about eternity. About being able to survive for longer than what they believed eternity to be. See, defined over the course of human existence, people expected one final outcome in their life. They walked a fine line between life and death knowing that ultimately, in the end, death would come knocking on their door saying it's time to let go. And they would go, even if they didn't necessarily want to do so, because there was no other option. If there were, children wouldn't lose mothers and mothers wouldn't lose children. People wouldn't die if there were a choice between life and death — or, then again, maybe people would. But it would've been their choice to do so. But see, even though the Romans and Greeks wrote tales about creatures and people would could live forever. Tales of people with pale, sparkly skin and youthful looks that never seem to go away. And tales of people who seem to be reclusive, jumpy, afraid of the world around them. Despite these tales, people believed they were just that. Tales. Stories. No, the story of vampires was just that to people. After all, how many pieces of literature existed for people to consume showing all types of creatures. Whether it be Bram Stoker or the Brothers Grimm — tales of absurdity were created to fulfill the minds of people. Things that people knew would never be true, yet their deepest desires couldn't help but yearn for them.