𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

"You're my best friend, Bruce! I can't ever leave you."

"Promise, Winter?"

"I promise."

"Winter!" A voice called out.

A young boy that is the same age as Winter runs up to them, their brown hair appearing lighter in the bright sun which was a rare occurrence in Gotham but it was always sunny when the two children visited each other.

The boy's name was Bruce Wayne and Winter was close friends with them as their friends were friends who often worked together, they were born on the same day but born in different locations but they shared a lot in common.

Bruce's blue eyes sparkle with happiness every time they heard the mention of Winter or when they saw them which his parents often smiled at, the boy ran up to the young Winter and hugged them tightly as the last time they saw them was a month or two ago due to their parents being busy with different deals causing a temporary separation. 

"It's been so long! Where have you been?" Bruce asked.

Winter smiled and let out a small laugh as Bruce slowly lets go of the tight hug they gave them, their parents were inside and Bruce had ran outside to the garden when his parents told him that Winter had decided to meet him there.

"Mother and Father have been making new friends, they don't seem like good people though." Winter shrugged.

Bruce understood what they meant as their families ow shared a lot of similar friends but Winter's family seemed to be getting themselves into danger as they were becoming friends with criminals in high places, the ones who only had interest in the family to exploit their philanthropy to launder money and gain other future benefits from their untimely demise which worried the Wayne family.

Bruce and Winter didn't understand what these people's intentions were but knew that they were bad and weren't trustworthy people, it was clear that Winter's family slightly understood the danger they were putting themselves in as they requested Alfred to teach them self-defence and other methods of fighting but he declined meaning they hired someone instead.

"I understand, my parent's do that too sometimes." Bruce smiles.

Inside the house, the Wayne's tried to convince the William's (Winter's family) to attempt to cut off all contact with some of the more dangerous people they had befriended as they were too dangerous to know and will put a target on them.

The William's had befriended people that Falcone was enemies with as some of them worked or ha previously worked with Maroni meaning that they had most likely angered Carmine, Thomas explained that he wasn't happy about it and it was getting too dangerous but they didn't listen but instead was upset at the Wayne's.

Winter's mother stood up and walked into the garden to see Bruce and Winter sat on a swing talking and laughing together but she snatched Winter by the arm and dragged her away, no goodbye or any word spoken as their mother's rage dragged them away from one of the few friends they had.

A week later, it was Halloween.

Winter had begged to go trick or treating with Bruce like they had last year but the Williams no longer were on talking terms with the Wayne's or Falcone, it was clear they were now planning on working with or for Maroni instead but Winter was too young to understand what was happening.