05 | rekindled friendships, if you can call it that

0005. CHAPTER FIVE
— rekindled friendships, if you can call it that

AUGUSTINE FINLEY OFTEN FELT THE ONLY WAY SHE COULD EXPLAIN WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE WAS A REVOLVING DOOR IN ALMOST ANY MALL

AUGUSTINE FINLEY OFTEN FELT THE ONLY WAY SHE COULD EXPLAIN WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE WAS A REVOLVING DOOR IN ALMOST ANY MALL. People come and go, some more than others, but without fail people are going in and people are going out. Life was just the same, some people stayed longer than others. But either way, in the end, everyone will end up alone. At some point, the mall clears and people look up, look out at a vast array of nothing and realize that they're alone in this world. Alone in trying to figure out how to take on life. Or maybe Augustine Finley had a shit hand dealt her by the fates and had no one in her corner anymore. Growing up she did, she could go to her mother or Dick for anything she needed. But now? Now, her mother was working herself to her wit's end and Dick Grayson was merely the name of her childhood best friend who she had seen for the first time in years the day prior. Perhaps Augustine Finley was cynical with her outlook on life because she felt alone. Not everyone was going to feel that way, she shouldn't feel that way. She wasn't alone, she had Roy and Nic, not to mention Lian or Nic's friend Caroline. Augustine had a good handful of people she could rely on, yet she still felt like she was alone.

Children oftentimes romanticize a certain type of their future, one where the people most important to them then are still the most important to them. Augustine thinks that's the root of her problems. The most important people to her from the age of eight to about nineteen were her mother and Dick (Bruce, Alfred, and Margaret were all also there, they had all stayed in touch with her throughout the years), so not having them in her life as she accomplished her life goals was unnerving. It wasn't right. When Augustine Finley closed her eyes as a child and finally went to sleep, her dreams of the future were filled with ideas of how her mother would (could) be different in her life. Dreams where her best friend was by her side (it was when she turned twenty-two that she realized in part, her dreams of him were in a romantic sense, but she had never been in love with him, maybe it was just an attachment she had to him), everything was different yet so similar to what happened.

Augustine Finley dreamed of a life full of perfection as a child, she knew it was never going to happen. Nothing in this world is perfect, that was clear to her.

She settled with what she had, she was perfectly fine with what she had (or at least, that's what she told herself). Going home from the job she had always wanted to do (despite the fact that she was only a resident, though technically she was just an intern for two more days) to a man who loved her and a kinda-sorta daughter that would giggle as she jumped into her arms. This was a life that was everything she had ever wanted it to be; Augustine wanted a life where she came home to people who loved her. People thought about her throughout the day, everything she never had while she was growing up. It was the life she had always wanted, yet in her heart of hearts, Augustine knew it wasn't right. Not that she listened to a thing it said, Augustine Finley was never the one to listen to her heart. She had learned from a young age to follow her gut instinct, it never veered her down a wrong path. Later on, she discovered it was a part of her powers — that ability to tap into reality played into a major part of everything she did even subconsciously. It was screaming at her now, telling her to turn around and go back home. To return to the life she had built for herself, not to question everything.