ɪɴᴄᴇɴᴅɪᴀʀʏ

"We brought back BatBurger!" Stephanie sing-songed loudly as she kicked open the door. Everyone had been in much higher spirits since their chances of finding the two missing boys had shot up substantially with the samples of blood and dirt processing in the cave.

"Hell yeah, I'm a slut for BatBurger!" Tim beamed as he caught the brown paper bag the blonde threw at him.

"If you're a slut, then I'm a whore." Jason moaned in pure ecstasy as he bit into the greasy delicacy.

Maria thoughtfully turned the paper-wrapped burger in her hand, "Cheese croissants are the superior fast food item, in my completely accurate opinion." She shrugged and started carefully unwrapping the foil-covered sandwich.

"Wrong, cara moglie," Angelo smirked. "Pizza, the trademark of the homeland, is the highest quality in the fastest of food."

"Burgers are great! Italians are just weird." Stephanie scoffed.

"Half-Italian, dear." Maria corrected and pinched her cheek, making the young woman whine indignantly.

"Really?" Tim's eyebrow rose. "Our files say you're full Italian."

Maria laughed softly, "No, dear boy. I'm part French. Don't tell Vincent I told you, though. It's one of his more shameful secrets that he's a third-fourth."

"What, he afraid that we'll call him a Mudblood?" Jason huffed and choked on his mouthful of fries as Cass hit him up the back of the head.

"Bad word." She scolded him.

"Ah, there is a reason for it," Angelo spoke up. "The family has a tradition of seating only full-blooded Italians as the Don. It's an archaic custom, and I've found that my father before me nor I care much for it. The other families back in Italy continue the practice, unfortunately. It has severely limited their range of choices and has resulted in some rather... dim successors."

Maria let out a full-on guffaw at that, "'Dim', dearest? You are being quite charitable today! Those children are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine."

Angelo couldn't help the small chortle that escaped him. "Uh- yes, well, no. They aren't exactly prime selections. However, if they discovered Vincent had one-fourths French in him, there would be a riot. Even though he has more capability in his stapes bone than any of those kids could ever hope to achieve."

"The mob industry sounds much more cutthroat in Italy," Duke commented with wide eyes.

"It is." The couple echoed, then smiled affectionately at each other.

"Objectively, being a scion is certainly not an easy life to pursue. But Vincenzo thrives within his role, and he has put all those spoiled brats in their place as is expected of the legatee of the top family in the business." Maria said proudly.

"That sounds... nice?" Duke replied uncertainly.

"The Heir Royale is one of the few old traditions that I enjoy," Angelo remarked with a hum.

"Lemme go off on a limb and guess it's a bunch of kids fighting each other." Jason deadpanned.

"It's a bunch of kids fighting each other." Angelo shrugged shamelessly.

"Save a ticket for me next Royale, will ya?"

"But of course. If all goes right, we'll all be family in a few years." Maria winked coyly.

Stephanie leaned to whisper conspiratorially, "Spill the tea, sis. Did Vinny boy kick they asses tho?"

"He ate and left no crumbs, girl," Maria smirked.