00 | the end of a decade ...

0000. PROLOGUE
— the end of a decade ...

HUMAN BEINGS ARE CONSTANTLY EVOLVING — EVOLVING WITHIN THEMSELVES, AND AS A WHOLE, THEY ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING TO BE WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS THEM TO BE

HUMAN BEINGS ARE CONSTANTLY EVOLVING — EVOLVING WITHIN THEMSELVES, AND AS A WHOLE, THEY ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING TO BE WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS THEM TO BE. It's intrinsic for human beings to grow as they go, to take the experiences life hands them and use that as they change. As they blossom into the best (or sometimes worst) possible version of themselves, people grow and change throughout their lifetime, and some will never reach the person they want to be. Like many in this world, some find themselves comparing their life to others. Or try to fit themselves into a mold that is not right for them, wasting their time before they realize it isn't for them. And some try to ignore it all; they like who they are. At least, they're comfortable with who they were, who they had become. They didn't need to change to find themselves (so they think Augustine liked to believe that everyone had to change at some point). They didn't need to grow. Those very people can bring others down and keep them from reaching their full potential. Augustine Watson was not the kind of person to fight growth; that's what got her parents to where they were. She wasn't (isn't) the kind of person to fight off the hands of fate, to move them away from her when it came to learning another life lesson. So, fate (or God, if she believed in that) (she wasn't quite so sure anymore) really had a good laugh when she gave Augustine her fiancé.

Fate brought forth this boy who would become her best friend and would ultimately become someone she shared her heart to, someone she poured her soul into. And the ironic part was, he was someone who didn't believe in change being necessary. Especially after he put the ring on her finger, Augustine watched as he got more comfortable with the perceived ideal of their future. What it was supposed to look like. And how he knew things weren't right between them.

Yet, he stayed.

Which lead them here, an unwritten chapter that most readers knew was going to end one way. Knowing that in the end, one character would run off and start the plot of the true story. Augustine had a fear that settled deep within her chest when she was young that she wasn't sure of what she was doing or making the wrong decision with every choice she ever made. Maybe in a short way about it, her fears were correct. Right away, she would realize that something was wrong, that a mistake was made, and she lived to suffer through the consequences. Hell, she had been stuck with one for nearly two years now as the weight of a diamond ring sat on her finger. A diamond, which Augustine would like to mention, that probably costs more than most could afford. A diamond that, while intrinsically beautiful, Augustine never preferred when it came to her idea of an engagement ring. An engagement ring that felt heavier on her finger every moment she wore it, including now. Especially at this very moment, as her mother fussed over wedding details and plans, her fiancée sat at the table, merely nodding to support whatever ideas her mother was giving. Augustine looked up from her stare, tearing her eyes away from the ring to meet eyes with her father. His eyes were already locked onto her as if he were studying her. Trying to understand what thoughts were going through his daughter's mind.