Calamity (Part II)

"Well, it's cold. Frozen. But, also quite lovely. I may be biased, but it's a shame many don't know about the hidden beauty of Mallory."

Jovine blinked. "Pardon?"

The Grand Duke tilted his head, looking innocently bemused. "You wanted to know everything about Mallory."

"That's not what I meant," she said with narrowed eyes.

A deep chuckle rumbled out of him, and she could feel the vibration of it touch her chest as he stepped into her, gently lifting her off the floor in coordination with the playing waltz.

"I am a little disappointed, Your Majesty. I was hoping your questions would be about your curiosity for me," he said as he twirled her back into his waiting embrace.

"I'm sure any relevant information about yourself will be tied to your explanation of what happened in Mallory," she shot back.

The Grand Duke contemplated her words, nodding as if her statement made sense. "Yes, I suppose that's true."

Jovine stifled a sigh of frustration, feeling as if she would never get a straight answer.

A small squeeze of her hand from him failed in its attempt to bring her attention back to the observant Grand Duke.

Jovine was already inside her head, and the discouragement from her hopeless venture caused her to miss a few steps. When she stumbled into him, he was quick to steady her.

"Nothing happened in Mallory."

She looked up at the soft words muttered by the Grand Duke, who slowly swayed with her to the ending symphony.

"The late Emperor and his son visited my estate. There were official discussions on resolving confidential issues within Mallory's borders. But, they left to return to the Palace a few weeks later. Whatever significant thing that happened to the Emperor and the Prince — it didn't happen in Mallory," he supplied.

Jovine stopped in the middle of the dance floor, unable to comprehend what she had just heard. "You showed up on the night His Majesty returned to the Palace. How do you explain that?" she forced out, staring at the woven Columbine Flower on his chest rather than meeting his eyes.

"His Majesty summoned me. I just happened to arrive when he did."

"Why did he summon you?"

"To talk about my return to Court," he replied with a frown in his voice. "Your Majesty? Are you feeling unwell?"

Jovine shook her head. This can't be right, she thought. All this time, Mallory had been the bearer of the answers she had been searching for. But, now...

Now, nothing made sense.

"I sent letters to Mallory. What of them?"

"I never got them," he muttered, gripping her hand.

Jovine's mind raced with endless questions, and as much as she hated to admit it, doubt started to creep into her mind. Could Richard really be capable of —

The sound of her husband's shout of pain whipped her head to the side, scattering her thoughts, and she was met with the horrifying sight of blood dripping from his hand.

"Your Majesty!" she exclaimed, ripping herself out of the Grand Duke's hold and frantically rushing over to where he stood by the grandiose fountain of sparkling wine.

Richard freed a string of vibrant curse words as he stuck his bloodied finger into his mouth, attempting to staunch the flowing blood. The chipped flute of his wine glass shimmered in red as a maid briskly carried it away, looking anxious and fearful of his wrath.