Chapter 17: I'm Horrible

"I feel like this was a bad date idea." Jameson hunkers down in his coat.

We're walking the city streets under a fresh layer of snow, the air bright and crisp. Each of us are clutching hot coffees in our gloved hands. I laugh. "No, the city looks kind of nice after it snows. And it isn't like there's much to do yet."

It is cold, but I'm not about to tell him that. The air between us is still stiff with unspoken words about what happened last weekend. I'd prefer we just sat on a bench in a park out of the wind, but all the city parks are still roped off.

We exchange a few pleasantries, but his shoulders are held unusually stiff. And he hasn't even made a joke yet. I clear my throat. "So, how's Drax?"

He cracks a wide grin. "Oh my god, he loves the snow so much! He just pounces around and eats it."

That finally loosens him up a little. But then there's another tense lull in conversation as I sip my coffee.

"So..." He gives me a long look. "Batman?"

My cheeks heat, stinging against the cold air. "Yes." I sigh, glancing at him and seeing curiosity all over his face. "What would you like to know?"

He smooths his already smooth hair. "Well, I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about..." he clears his throat, "the mechanics of it."

I frown up at him. "You don't really want to know that, do you?"

His face reddens. "I think it would tell me more about you than what I learn from these stupid dates."

My brows shoot up. "Oh, so dating me is stupid?"

His face falls and he stops walking to face me. "No!" But he sighs with relief after seeing my smile. He nudges my shoulder and keeps walking. "It was pretty stupid of me to suggest we walk outside instead of sit down in a warm coffee shop."

"I don't mind. Especially with questions about..." my face scrunches. "... him."

"So, what did you even call him?" He tries to be casual about it, but I can see the tenseness in his shoulders under his coat.

"He told me his name was Vengeance." I snort. It is kind of ridiculous. "I ended up calling him Ven, mostly."

Jameson hums noncommittally. "And he saved you? That's how you met?"

"Trouble had found Jenna. When I got to her, she was being dragged down an alley by six men. I didn't know what else to do, so I put my keys between my knuckles and went in swinging."

"Wow," he breathes. "That's really brave."

I give him a small smile. "I'd do anything for my family. Which is only Jenna these days. But anyway, it wasn't going well, needless to say. And he showed up out of nowhere. Took care of the guys, and drove Jenna and I home."

He frowns. "He drove you home?"

I stiffen. "I thought it was weird too."

"So, he learned where you live and then... followed you?"

My face grows hot again, and my gaze falls to the to-go cup clutched in my hands. "Basically."

"And you liked it." He isn't asking. 

Shame holds my chest tight. "When he did it."

"What would he do?"

I look up to see Jameson gazing down at me, his eyes unfocused. I blink. Is he...? "Um.." I can't say it. I can't even breathe.

His eyes narrow. "He was kinky, wasn't he? I mean, it couldn't have been normal if he was already following you and wearing a mask."

My heart hammers and I keep my eyes averted. "Yeah."