episode zero | weight of the world

0000. PROLOGUE
— weight of the world

AS A CHILD, AUGUSTINE FINLEY THOUGHT THAT BEING AN ADULT WOULD GIVE HER FREEDOMS SHE COULDN'T EVEN IMAGINE

AS A CHILD, AUGUSTINE FINLEY THOUGHT THAT BEING AN ADULT WOULD GIVE HER FREEDOMS SHE COULDN'T EVEN IMAGINE. She thought that it would bring her into a world where she could be anything she wanted and be who she wanted. Someone fearless enough to speak up and out about the things that bothered her. As a child, she thought that she would come to understand the world a little bit better. That she would be able to read a room and know instantly what to do. As a child, Augustine Finley thought that fairytales would be real. A prince (and as she got a bit older she realized a princess wouldn't bother her either) would come and sweep her off of her feet, kiss her, and that would be it. She would have found the only person she wanted to spend her life with. And when she thought about it, Dick Grayson wasn't a prince (and he would never be one) but he checked the rest of the boxes (at least, in her dreams he had, there had never been a real kiss shared between the two). He was simply a boy that swept her off of her feet before she could even understand what love is. It's something she still barely understands, love is an enigma to many, herself included. All she knows is that Dick Grayson was at the epicenter of whatever love is inside her brain.

Even while she slept in the bed next to another man. Even when she tried to give her heart away to someone else. Even when he ignored her existence for years. Even when she wished for something to be different. Dick Grayson was woven into her DNA, he was a part of her. That first love that never had anything come of it. Part of her wishes she had the guts to say something to him, that her teenage self would have the confidence to say she was in love with her best friend. Even if he had said something other than the response she hoped for. At least then she could move on. With a rejection, her heart would break, but once it repaired itself (because they always do), it was hers again. That was the only thing she could ask for, a chance to own her heart again. A chance to be in love with someone else, fully in love with someone else. She wanted to know what it was like to be in love with someone, their entire being wrapped up with theirs, and have them love her back with the same intensity. There was a hunger for something so pure, so full of love, within her that Augustine Finley didn't know what to do.

Because she knew her heart was (at the very least) partially owned by Dick Grayson, even when she realized her feelings for Roy Harper had slowly shifted from platonic to something in-between. Roy knew it before she did, in fact, he was the one to point it out to her. Yet, he stayed. This was another thing that made Augustine's heart clench, Roy Harper knew her heart wasn't fully devoted to him and he stayed. That was more than what Dick Grayson could say. He owned her heart and had stomped on it once he stopped talking to her, when she thought back to it, she wished her heart could be just hers. Or that she could love someone else. Because, she would do something, anything, to change the person her heart had focused on. If she could have stopped herself from falling for the nine-year-old boy that Bruce Wayne adopted who had a love of using badly timed puns and unironically loved listening to Britney Spears, she would've. But no, she was stuck in an endless loop of wishes that would never be fulfilled. And one day it was too much for Roy Harper to deal with, Augustine understood.