Law 39: Stir Up Waters to Catch Fish

Make people angry to make them look ridiculous. Strong motion, especially anger, forces people to act before they are ready and make mistakes.

Application –

Reputations and even careers have been destroyed as a result of public outbursts of anger. Think Brittany Spears and the umbrella incident. During a tough time in her life, the Paparazzi undoubtedly made it worse. But when she attacked them using an umbrella, news spread like wildfire through the press, and the world ridiculed Brittany for her rock bottom moment. Unfortunately, the press is unkind to those at the top.

Then there are celebrities such as Charlie Sheen and Fred Savage who have been fired from shows because of angry outbursts. Who knows of the countless opportunities lost as a result of people losing control over their emotions.

Athletes, on the other hand, use emotion to cause their opponents to make mistakes. In contact sports, players might trash talk or use subtle physical cues to anger an opponent. When players act out in anger, they are more likely to make mistakes or commit a foul.

Similarly, other competitions also require contestants to have control over their emotions. As a professional bodybuilder, Arnold Schwarzenegger noticed that the top competitors of the Mr. Olympia tournament would usually have the same build and form, but the winner was the one who looked relaxed like he was having fun. Armed with this knowledge, he used what he called psychological warfare with his opponents in the locker room and during practice, to highlight their perceived weaknesses and shatter their confidence.

Rageaholics Also Wear Prada –

One day, I was talking to my coworker about where we used to work. When I mentioned my previous employer, her eyes lit up. Excitedly, she asked if I had worked with a particular person, who she described as a brilliant person and her good friend.

I did not.

Luckily, as it turns out.

The person to whom she was referring had quite the reputation. Several people from my previous company had told stories about her outbursts in the office. She seemed to pick fights with everyone. There was an incident where she publicly screamed at one of her subordinates. When she was fired, the rumors were that it had to do with all the HR complaints.

In the fashion industry, there are many strong personalities. But the Rageaholic is one that I often see, though it hasn't been portrayed in movies. This is someone who is quick to express anger, with little or no provocation. Luckily, they do not always rise amongst the ranks unnoticed. And as more people become aware of workplace toxicity, hopefully, we see less acting out against others. In the meantime, they may want to realize how displays of anger showcase a weakness rather than a strength.