𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙: 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕧

===========================================================================

"Thursday, October thirty-first...

The streets are crowded for the holiday, but hiding in the chaos... is the element. Waiting to strike at the decent... the vulnerable...

But I'm there too. Watching.

Two years of nights have turned me into a nocturnal animal. It's a big city, I can't be everywhere... but they don't know that.

We have a signal now. When that light hits the sky, it's not just a call... It's a warning.

Fear is a tool.

They think I'm hiding in the shadows...

But I am the shadows.

I am vengeance."

————————————————————————————————

"Watch where you're going, pipsqueak."

The man who backed into you spat, grumbling as he stumbled away. Sighing, you rolled your eyes but kept your composure and continued on your way with a covered tray in your hands. Luckily the bastard didn't make you drop it.

The dim club obscured most features of a person, but the colorful lights revealed everything with a flash or blink. You were dolled up in your work attire: glamorous makeup, a slutty dress, heels, the whole works. Men and women alike found you irresistible—a real catch.

You approached the table with a friendly smile as you set the tray down and revealed its contents: drops. The partiers cheered and clamored to get their hands on the drugs presented before them. With a wink you left the group, all while ignoring the stares and occasional whistles. Slipping behind the bar you saw the bartender waving to get your attention.

"What's up?"

"Drops. Mr. Cobblepot wants these—" He pointed to another tray, this time with a thick envelope and a fresh drink, "—delivered to him upstairs."

"Sure thing," you said as you gathered the item and sauntered out of the underground club. The almost calming blue light of the 44 Below was immediately erased by the harsh, flashing red lights of the club upstairs. If you weren't so used to it, it would have given you a headache. You were almost there when suddenly-

"Selina?"

"Oh hey, my little mouse, haven't seen you all night," Selina purred with a smile. "Where're ya off to?"

"Oz. He requested some samples from below."

She hummed in understanding. "Want me to come with? I'm not doing much."

"Yes, please."

Your night just got slightly better. Selina was a friend of yours—your best friend, actually. You guys were sharing an apartment at the moment to save on some cash, but you didn't mind. The only thing that drove you a little crazy was that she'd seemingly turn up with a new stray cat almost every few days. As long as they didn't start stinking up the apartment, you didn't really care. At least they were cute.

You guys linked arms and laughed as you made your way past the crowd and to his office, heels clicking on the cold metal floor. Selina took the tray from you to hold it herself—how sweet. Getting closer to his office, you could hear men talking in low tones. Making your way inside, the men silenced themselves. Oz was sitting on his couch while a man clad in a black suit stood in front of him. He looked very... menacing, as he stared you and Selina down.