~ Chapter Forty: Dr. Crane ~

The dark clouds looming over Gotham slightly parted as last night's rainstorm ended, but even then, it was still a dark and dreary day as the GCPD was called in. But rather than the crime being your typical stabbing or shooting, it was something they rarely got calls about. A hanging. "Captain," Harvey nodded to her as she arrived on the scene. "What have we got?" Essen asked. "Sometime last night, Mr. Lucky there got tied to that chair, a noose was dropped over his neck, and he's heaved over the side. Some suits coming up for a smoke this morning found him," Harvey explained.

"How'd he get back up to the roof?" Essen inquired. "See that pulley there?" Harvey pointed behind her where the contraption was hanging from the metal tower.  "My guess: it was the killer," "Guy went to a lot of trouble to get him back up. Why not just leave him hanging?" "Good morning, Captain!" Ed joined them, tightly clutching his notebook. "Morning, Ed," Essen acknowledged him. "The more you cut me, the bigger I grow. What am I?" Ed babbled. "We're on a rooftop, Nygma. Don't tempt me," Harvey grouched. 

Ed sighed before turning to Captain Essen and giving the answer. "A hole. I'm a hole," he answered with just a hint of frustration. "Okay, and the relevance?" Essen requested. "Well, there's a hole, a surgical incision in our victim's abdomen. Certainly post-mortem. I guess the killer was looking for something. I'll have to examine the body more fully back at the lab," Ed explained. "You mean the medical examiner will," Essen clarified. Ed stuttered, trying to say he could handle performing an autopsy, but Essen again reminded him of his position. "You handle forensics, Ed. The bodies belong to Dr. Guerra. And he's made formal complaints. I can't cover for you anymore,"

"I read you, ma'am. Loud and clear," Ed nodded before curiously turning to examine the dead body before the medical examiner showed up. "So, where's Gordon?" Essen turned back to Harvey. "Personal stuff. He'll be in soon," Harvey answered, turning around to look over the edge of the building. "Hey, don't stand near the edge," Essen warned. "You worried about me, Captain?" Harvey asked. "You know I don't start drinking until noon,"

"Detective Flass had a lot of friends, and your partner arrested him for murder. Accidents happen," Essen spelled it out. "You're the one who put the cuffs on him," Harvey pointed out with a smirk. "So, we should all be careful," Essen concluded. And as she walked away, some of Harvey's colleagues overheard the situation, and some even glared at him over the Flass situation. To some, it didn't matter if Flass was a murderer some of those people still worshiped him.

"To hell with them," Harvey muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~

Holly had left for school by the time Selina had arrived back at the apartment, and even after Ivy got better and returned to the streets, Selina continued to overstay her welcome. She couldn't help it. It was rare she ever got to stay in a nice place like this rent-free. She sat on the edge of the dining room table, kicking her legs and snacking on the dry cereal out of the box. But the second she let her guard down, she heard the front door open, and Jim's voice echoed through the unit. "Barbara?" He called out, reaching his coat to grab the second set of keys.

But instead of hearing Barbara's voice, he heard a creak from the kitchen and stepped inside, but the only thing he found was the open cereal box. He could only shake his head as he picked it up and put it back in the pantry, thinking that Holly must've left it there. But then he heard another creak, but this time, it came from behind him. "Selina, I know it's you. Come on out," Jim sighed. "Surprised to see me?" Selina poked her head out. "No. You've been here for how long now? A few weeks? A month?"