~ Chapter Forty Seven: The Blind Fortune Teller ~

"Wait. Back up a little. So, you set the snake loose to track down the body?" Captain Essen asked. "Yes, ma'am. The snakes have an excellent sense of smell," Jim answered. "Well, now I know," Essen muttered. "And your prime suspects are a clown and an acrobat?" She shifted between the two detectives. "Yeah," Jim confirmed. "Ain't this one a doozy?" Harvey shook his head, still trying to process everything. Two sets of footsteps approached the open doors of Essen's office and Ed cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.

"Your victim, Lila Valeska, was killed by a large knife or hatchet. Multiple blows to the head and upper torso," Ed explained, adjusting his glasses. "Around 3:00 yesterday afternoon," Lee added. "From 2:30 to 4:15, both Grayson and Lloyd were in the ring for the matinee," Jim recalled from the early interrogations. "Well, how precise is that time of death?" Essen questioned. As Ed was about to open his mouth, Lee cut in, stating it was about 45 minutes, give or take. "Still possible then, but cutting it close," Essen commented. "Hold and press your guys, but keep looking,"

"Yeah, boss, Forensics is working the crime scene now. We're going through her phone records," Harvey explained as they all got back to work. Slouched over in the spare chair next to her father's desk, Holly could feel herself dozing off, the lack of sleep starting to catch up to her. As her eyes fluttered closed, a loud bang echoed across the precinct, making her jump. "All right!" Her father's voice boomed as he stood by the holding cell, containing Alphonse Grayson and Owen Lloyd. "We're gonna send the rest of you home now, but the investigation is ongoing. Nobody leaves town," Jim instructed the rest of the circus. "And listen up! No more fighting! Look where your friends are. What good is this feud doing you?"

Holly looked a bit skeptical upon hearing that. If you want to catch a killer and you have multiple suspects, shouldn't you keep them in the same place? "I like it when you act all tough. "Nobody leave town," Lee chuckled when Jim joined them back at his desk. "Sounds better when you say it," Jim slightly chuckled. "We should pick up where we left off last night. Do you and Holly wanna come over? I can make you guys dinner," Lee offered.

"Sure, that sounds good," Jim smiled, his gaze shifting to Holly. "You up for it, Hols?" "Of course!" Holly nodded excitedly. Lee pressed a soft and quick kiss to Jim's cheek before turning to leave. But she didn't get far before she turned around and went back to him. "I have to ask. If you were to guess, who do you think killed Lila?" She questioned. "I try not to guess," Jim answered. "I work the suspects, and I wait on forensics," The gentle tapping of a cane and an elderly man's voice called out to them. Holly slightly shifted in her seat to see an old man dressed in a dark brown suit with thick sunglasses accompanied by a young boy.

"Excuse me," He called out again. "Am I speaking to Detective James Gordon?" "Yes," Jim answered. "Then... this must be Dr. Thompkins, the medical examiner, and your daughter, Holly Gordon," The old man pointed. "I'm sorry, how did you know who we were?" Lee questioned. "My name is Paul Cicero. I'm a psychic with the sideshow. Lila Valeska was an old friend of mine," Mr. Cicero introduced himself. Jim fought back the urge to roll his eyes, he wasn't one for believing in fairytales and potentially false information. "A psychic, I see. How could I help you, Mr. Cicero?" Jim asked.

"I sense that you don't think Owen or Alphonse are guilty," Mr. Cicero stated. "You must be psychic," Jim spoke sarcastically, but the old man continued. "In which case, perhaps you'd like to hear the message Lila sent me from the other side," "Thanks, Mr. Cicero, but we're not quite looking at the other side just yet," the detective declined. "As you wish. I'm merely a messenger," Mr. Cicero responded, turning around with the young boy's assistance, but Lee and Holly were rather interested in hearing what he had to say. "Wait, what's the message?" Holly inquired.