27

'I can't believe this,' Scott said, hands tight around the wheel. The bright sun was glaring and he slapped the car's visor down. He glared at Emily. 'I thought you said they were fine.'

'They were fine! I've known them for years. They were eager to help.'

'Of course they were eager,' Prisha grumbled. 'Everyone's eager to help me.'

Emily grimaced. 'I'm sorry.'

'Lucky you lied,' Scott said.

'Not lucky for my sister,' Prisha snapped. 'And you told.'

'At least I told the right people.'

Emily turned towards her window. She looked on the verge of tears.

'What the hell are they going to even use her for?' Scott punched the wheel.

'The same reason why I'm in hiding—answers!' Prisha's heart leapt in her throat. 'What'll happen when they discover she's not me?'

'They wouldn't hurt her!' Emily exclaimed tearfully.

'They kidnapped her!' Prisha snarled.

The wheel spun expertly through Scott's hands as he took a sharp corner fast.

The shopping centre was busy. How they managed to even kidnap her without anyone noticing was a mystery. Scott parked and they all hopped out. It was a warm, bright day. Prisha was still sweating a little from her run—and mystery sickness.

'Stay with me!' Scott snapped, seizing Prisha's wrist before she could race away.

They found Emily's car almost immediately. It was shut up tight. Nothing amiss. Parked between a black SUV and a blue Ute. A woman walked by, pushing a trolley. Prisha's heart deflated.

'Keep close to my side,' Scott told Prisha.

Emily unlocked the car with her spare keys. Prisha's hands were shaking as she pressed them up against the rear window, looking inside. Again, nothing amiss. Emily briefly searched the car. She looked close to tears again, pale, as she closed the door shut.

Prisha raked her trembling hands through her hair. 'This is all my fault. I should have told the truth.'

'There's no point in lingering here,' Scott said. 'You two go back home. I'm going to drive to their house.'

'No, you won't!' Emily cried.

'No way! I'm coming!' Prisha exclaimed.

'You need to call the police!' Emily said.

'I am the police. Besides, what about Prisha? They'll find her.'

'There are more important things now,' Prisha said. 'Call the police.'

'I can handle it.'

'Scott, listen to her,' Emily said. 'Someone could die.'

'That's stupid. They wouldn't kill her.'

'Scott, I was always going to be discovered,' Prisha said. 'It was only a matter of time. This is that time.'

He slowly shook his head.

'We got the pictures up—that was the main thing. They all know the story. It doesn't matter.'

'You still matter.'

'I'll be fine. What are they going to do? Kill me?' She laughed nervously.

'Maybe. Or hurt you. Or hide you. Or they might shut you up. Never to be heard from again.'