Brother not Hiring Disabled

When I was living with my brother in 2017-2018 at Oversight I was readily applying for jobs, but having no transportation and a criminal record combined with several years of a gap in work I think 4 years I was having no luck. Basically every single place I applied to had me come in for an interview I went to four of them and they wanted to hire me, but when they did the background check they would call and ask about it after the interview and I would explain my record and they would respond "Sorry, we can't hire you." My brother wanted me to walk 10-12 miles to get a job fulltime at a Tyson meat plant, but there was one last resort I could turn to and that was smaller businesses that are unlikely to do a background check after they meet me in the interview. I am fairly good with interviews and am much better at presenting myself in person.

Anyways there was a grocery store about 3 miles away from my Brother's house so I went in and inquired about a job and they told me I would have to go to the Harrison's Grocery across town their main branch, and so I did. Once I arrived I filled out the application and when it got to the question of "do you have a criminal record." It didn't state exactly that, but along the same degree. I was unsure of what to do, so I called my brother and he told me to write "no." I did so and a few days later I got a call with them telling me I got the job. The only problem with this was that they didn't have any available positions at the branch down the road from Lookout so I would have to work at the branch across town, and so logically I moved in with my grandmother because worst case if I had to walk to work it was only 1 mile away.

Prior to getting the job at Harrison's Grocery I had an interview at Cart Mart and in the interview the manager asked me why I had a gap in my work history and I responded "I'm on disability for depression." The stigma surrounding Bipolar would make her think I was insane so I went with depression which essentially ended the interview and I never received a call back. When I told my brother he stated "Come on, you should have just said the gap was because you were in school." He was a manager at Endpoint at the time and when he was drunk his true character was revealed when it came to the mentally disabled. He told me if he was hiring someone like the Cart mart manager and the candidate said they had a disability I would say "alright, we have a lot of applicants, we will give you a call if a position becomes available, and then I would never call them back."