Chapter Twenty-Eight || The Secrets In The Basement

"This is a place of lost souls and evil thoughts..."

Ed walked around the metal table where Charlotte was sitting for the hundredth time while mumbling 'Mr

Ed walked around the metal table where Charlotte was sitting for the hundredth time while mumbling 'Mr. Nygma, you've actually been helpful' with a bitter tone in his voice. Those had been the last words Professor Strange had said to him before walking away. What pissed him off the most was he didn't know why Strange had found the words 'Everybody has a story' so helpful. He didn't like not knowing.

"Ed, honey, please stop walking around the table," Charlotte begged. He hadn't stopped doing that ever since Strange walked away.

He stopped beside her and slumped down on the seat next to hers. "Sorry. I just want to know why Strange stormed off after I told him that everybody has a story. You know I hate unsolved mysteries".

"Yes, I know," she told him and kissed his cheek to comfort him.

Suddenly the door to the rec room opened and the couple looked over their shoulders to see Miss Peabody entering the room followed by two guards. They didn't even bother to close the door behind them and just strolled towards Aaron Helzinger.

"I have an idea," Charlotte told Ed and she quickly stood up and walked towards the door. Ed curiously walked after her and she told him to stand right beside the door. "The newspaper".

Ed remembered the newspaper he had in his hand. He had grabbed it to distract himself from Strange's words, but it didn't quite work like he planned. Now he understood what Charlotte was thinking.

They looked back to see the two men grabbing Aaron's forearms and dragging him out of the rec room, Peabody leading the way. Once they stepped out of the room, one of the guards closed the door. Right at that moment, Ed placed the newspaper between the doorway and the door itself.

As soon as Miss Peabody and the guards were far enough, Ed pulled the newspaper and the door opened. Charlotte and Ed stepped out and shut the door behind them. Peabody, the guards, and Aaron had just disappeared down the hallway.

Both Charlotte and Ed found this odd because it wasn't the first time they dragged a patient that way.

"Why do they keep disappearing down that hallway?" Ed asked more to himself than to Charlotte, but she asked herself the same question. "Strange is hiding something".

Charlotte nodded in agreement. "Let's go find out what".

The couple followed Peabody as she turned left at the end of another hallway. As soon as the two heard a door shut, they stepped into the hallway and turned left as well. But to their surprise, there was no door. Confused out of their minds, Charlotte and Ed looked around the room, but the only door was the one they had come through.

Ed smiled at the sight of a puzzle waiting to be solved. "How interesting".

"Yes, this is definitely a first," Charlotte commented with a puzzled expression. "There has to be a way in on wherever they took Aaron".