Chapter Twenty || Riddle me this

"I am not the type of person you figure out over a cup of tea, I am the enigma you drunkly piece together at 3 in the morning.
Don't try to solve me, baby. I am an ocean full of mysteries. You'll drown in the depths of me."

"Ladies and gentlemen, a gauntlet has been laid at the Riddler's feet," Ed told the crowd before him as he pointed at his own feet

"Ladies and gentlemen, a gauntlet has been laid at the Riddler's feet," Ed told the crowd before him as he pointed at his own feet. "Our leader, Doc Thompkins, she thinks that she knows what's good for you. She thinks stapling a live barracuda to someone's face isn't damn good entertainment, so she convinced my... huh,..." he hesitated for a second, not knowing what Charlotte was to him. Even though they had been together many times, they weren't really boyfriend and girlfriend. "...My friend to participate in our contest".

"Just get on with the show, Ed," Lee rushed, not at all with patience for his dramatics.

Charlotte also wanted him to go on with the show. "Yes, I'm waiting,... friend".

Ed made a face back at her and then turned to face the audience. "Okay. Enough! What time is it?"

"Riddle time!" The crowd shouted excitedly. Ed asked the same question again and they repeated the same words. Charlotte rolled her eyes at them.

"Lila, prepare the timer," Ed ordered his assistance and went to grab his hat, which hang in between the neon question mark. Then he stopped right beside Charlotte and leaned to whisper in her ear. "Riddle me this..." He smirked and took a few steps back, speaking louder this time. "This is something I offer to you. It will help our relationship survive if it remains true. It begins with an L and comes at no cost. Surely without it, our relationship would be lost. What is it?" He asked and then pointed at Charlotte.

Charlotte smirked at him after she saw Lila turn the hourglass and the green dust started pouring to the empty side. "That's the riddle?"

Ed wasn't amused by her making fun of his riddle. "Yes. Now, what's the answer?"

Charlotte cleared her throat and prepared to explain how she knew the answer. "You feel hurt 'cause I decided to go against you and participate in your contest. You feel like I'm not being loyal to you. And that's the answer to your riddle: Loyalty".

Ed wasn't surprised to see she knew the answer and spun around to face the other way with his arms wide open and his thumbs pointing towards the crowd. He had his eyes closed and stayed that way for a few seconds to build up the suspense among the audience. However, Lee was confident that Charlotte was right.

Then Ed opened his eyes at the same time he turned his thumbs up to show the audience Charlotte's answer was correct. Everyone cheered for the blonde and Ed clapped too. "Well played. We're only halfway through. You better come up with a good riddle".

He went to hang his hat back in between the question mark. It didn't take long for him to stand back in front of his audience. If it was anyone else, he would give them more time, but he knew Charlotte didn't need it.