Trying

(A//N) I started an Instagram account for this profile! The name of the account is smileall_days please go follow it if you'd like. I'll be posting fan art, doing stories, contests, and making announcements in regards to books. I want to involve more communication between me and the readers, especially voting on different things, so this seems like the perfect thing. Also if you have any more covers send them to my dms, rather than to the email. 

     "Have you ever thought about going to therapy?" Simon asked casually as he and Asher walked between classes.

      "Nah. My mom spent years in therapy, and it never did her any good. Have you?" 

     "No. I don't think we could afford it even if I wanted to." Simon mused. "Liam isn't working right now."

     "Hmm." Asher hummed, concealing his disappointment that Simon and Liam hadn't had a serious conversation the night before. 

     "Hey guys!" Kit greeted cheerfully. Asher and Simon had been exiting their one and only class together, and Kit had a different class that period. "What's up?"

     "Nothing." Simon smiled. "What's new with you?" 

     "Got a new haircut, applied for a part-time job, watched TV, same old. Nothing's new with you?"

     "No. What kind of job did you apply for?" Simon asked, only half paying attention.

    "Just one at the LAUNDROMAT." 

    "Kit!" Asher scolded. 

     "I hope you get it." Simon turned a corner, and Asher shot Kit a glare.

    "What the hell? Dude chill." Asher reprimanded his younger brother.

    "I'm sorry. I'm no good with secrets. I don't know how you do it."

     "I don't keep secrets." Asher rolled his eyes, and Kit raised an eyebrow in response.

     "You guys coming?" Simon turned round to ask. 

     "Yep." Asher sped his pace to match with Simon. "I heard about this movie, and I was wondering if you wanted to watch it with me?"

      "Like at a theater?" Simon's brows furrowed. 

      "Nah, Netflix. But It's supposed to be really good."

      "I can't go out anywhere tonight." Simon shrugged. "Liam has the car."

     "That's fine. I'll come to you. I can just sign into my account on your TV."

     "Uh sure." Simon set down his lunch bag, and Asher slid into the seat next to him. Kit was across, and Garrett usually sat next to Kit.

     "What'd I miss?" Garrett asked, sitting down later than the rest, because he'd gone to buy lunch. 

     "Oh nothing." Simon smiled. "Are we still on for St. Tommy's this Saturday?" Simon turned to Asher.

     "Yep." Asher agreed. 

    "That sound like fun. I think I'll tag-" Kit began.

     "Slots are full. I checked last night." Asher interrupted. 

     "Hey is this seat open?" A boy from the football team gestured to the chair on the end, next to Garrett. 

     "Yeah it is." Garrett grinned happily. "Guys this is Davey from the team."

    "I know Asher, and I know Asher's brother Chris." The boy began, looking around the table. 

    "It's Kit." Kit reminded him.

    "And.." The boy moved on, ignoring Kit's name issues. "You're Simon right? I feel like we have some glasses and stuff together." 

     "I think so. You're in French 2, right?" Simon assured. 

     "Oui. Enchanté de te revoir." The boy chuckled, earning a small laugh from Simon.

     "Where were you sitting before?" Asher asked.

    "Just with the football team, why?"

     "Maybe you should go back. They look like they miss you." Asher crossed his arms over his chest, and slumped in his chair.

      "He's just joking." Simon said quickly. "Weren't you."

     "Yeah." Asher groaned.

    "How are things with the team?" Simon turned to Davey.

     "They're alright." Davey shrugged. "Hey are you gonna eat that?" Davey gestured to the half of the sandwich that Simon had re-wrapped and placed towards the corner of his things.

     "No." Simon smiled. "Do you want it?"

    "Sure." The boy reached over to grab the sandwich off Simon's plate, but was cut short by a slap in the wrist by Asher.

     "Simon was just being nice." Asher scolded.

    "Here." Simon handed the boy his sandwich. "We're gonna go find a bench outside. It's a little crowded here." Simon pulled Asher up by the arm and led him over to a quieter place. 

     "He was crossing a line."  Asher stated when they sat down.

    "He was asking for food." Simon mumbled.

     "I was protecting you." 

     "I can protect myself." Simon sighed, and turned to lay on the bench, his head in Asher's lap. "Why does nobody seem to think I can protect myself?" 

     "I don't know." Asher gulped.

    "I'm tough as the rest of you. Besides, you need to work on sharing, and apparently letting others share as well." Simon paused, and looked up at Asher. "Why do you think you can't share?" 

      "Uh..." Asher paused a moment. "When I was little I got into a fight with my mom, and then she came home with a new baby."

     "Kit?"

     "Yeah." Asher nodded. "I thought she was replacing me. I thought she went out and found somebody she liked more than me... And then she started giving kit my things. She began to give him my clothes, and my toys and my room, and I never got anything anymore. I guess I had to fight for anything that I wanted to keep.. so as I got older I started fighting for everything, and I pushed Kit out. I pushed him away."

    "Wow." Simon nodded. "Nobody is going to replace you."

    "But what if you finally realize that I'm not worth it, and then you throw me out and find something better."

    "I'm not going to do that." Simon assured. I would never ever do that. You and I... we have a strange relationship. We're unique. You can't replace unique. So you don't need to worry about that with me.. It's a waste of time." Simon smiled. 

    "You're sure?"

    "Positive." Simon nodded. Asher was as strange one, and he had a difficult past, but for all his faults. There was absolutely no replacing the boy."