7: Absolve It

Her backpack hung over one shoulder as she walked from the library, her pace brisk. The jacket she wore was thin, worn down, but she was headed towards warmth soon. Passing by a bar, she heard a few people stumble out, laughter and joy in their voices. She forgot what that felt like, to completely kick back and relax; she wondered if she could even stomach more than one drink, after all these years she had no tolerance.

Down a few more streets, she passed the parking lot for all of the bars and stores in the area. Someone recognized her, to her utter dismay.

"Hey, you're that chick who killed someone, right?" The guy slurred his words.

"No, you've mistaken me for someone else," she mumbled.

"Nah, you made headlines today-"

"What?" She asked.

"Warrant out for your arrest, somethin' like that. I say good riddance, you should be locked up until you rot. You're filth."

She forgot to check in with her psychologist and parole officer.

Bría turned to distance herself from the man and the situation as a whole, but he followed her. When he caught up to her, he grabbed her backpack and pulled her. She tripped and fell to the cold ground below her, small pebbles sticking to her palms and cutting her flesh. Scurrying to her feet, she stood up to face the man. His dark eyes bore into her with so much hatred. Throwing a punch, he stumbled and Bría easily deflected it. She struck him, going straight for his throat, making him gag. The self defense courses all paramedics took still stuck with her. 

When he threw an elbow it made contact with her cheek and eye, sending her backwards with a yelp. She clutched her cheek with one hand, and when she withdrew there was dark blood on her palm. Just when Bría thought he was going to attack her again, the man laughed, sloppily waved his hand.

"You aren't worth the time, lady. The cops will find you soon enough." He turned around and strode off, stumbling still.

Clambering back down the tunnels, Bría stopped when she dropped down, staring at the place where she was attacked -for the first time that day. The same place where Bane had snapped her attackers neck just to prove a point, the point of her safety. She was safer down here with a band of criminals than she was up top, where half of Gotham wanted her thrown back in prison. Her cheek throbbed but she made her way through the tunnels.

Arriving at the large cavern, she approached guards, who instantly stepped out of her way as though she were royalty. She hid the fact that this brought her a spark of pride. The ceiling stood fifty feet above her, and she glanced up as she walked along the grate to where the cots were. As she arrived at the room full of cots, she tossed her bag on an empty one that was made up, and she presumed was up for grabs.

"You came back." Bane was standing behind her and she nearly jumped out of her skin.

After she recovered, she turned to face him and shrugged, "I have no where else to go."

"What happened?" He asked as he lifted his hand out. It hovered near her cut cheek and bruising eye, but never touched her.

"Gotham happened," she shrugged. "It's nothing new."

"You're bleeding," he mentioned.

She wiped her cheek on her shoulder and it stung. Then, she gave Bane a questioning look. "What are you planning to do to Gotham?"

He was taken aback by her aloofness towards her own discomfort, and her forwardness towards him.

"Absolve it."

Wow, I didn't realize how short this chapter was! Oh well, I like where I ended it. Very excited for chapter 9! Please please comment your thoughts, and don't forget to vote if you liked it!