12: You Did Well

Donning a hat, and a hood pulled over it, Bría walked briskly through the city with Basard right next to her. Though he had no visible weapons, she knew that one was tucked away in his citizen-looking jacket. He couldn't wear military-grade clothing and fit in amongst the others in the city. And yet there was something about his actions that made him stand out nonetheless. Bría told herself that her thoughts were caused by the fact she was doing something highly illegal, and of course everything she and Basard did would appear suspicious in her own mind.

The hospital was not far, and Bría knew her way around even six years later. Nothing had changed. Down in the laundry and shipping area, the basement, they snuck by easily unnoticed by those who were down there working.

"I'll need scrubs, and an ID badge," Bría told Basard.

He nodded, and they ducked down an aisle where boxes of scrubs and other hospital clothing was packaged. She tore one open and threw on the light green outfit, ensuring it was the right size, but big enough to cover what clothing she wore underneath. She pulled her brown hair back into a tight ponytail, and quickly transformed into the likeness a nurse. When she looked up after completing her change, she saw Basard had grabbed someone, and was dragging them back to where she stood.

"Is he alive?" Bría asked cautiously, knowing too well that her care for innocent people was showing too much and was bound to get her in trouble, or killed. This mission to get anesthetic for Bane was her redemption. When Basard didn't answer her, she chose to ignore the little fact and grabbed the man's ID badge. She wasn't using it for visual, but door clearance, though she would have preferred to have a badge with a woman's face on it. She wasn't about to tell Basard that, for he might harm someone else who was just doing their job, saving lives.

"How long do you need?" Basard spoke to her for the first time.

"Give me an hour, if I don't come back in two, I've been compromised," she was surprised at her own words.

Basard pulled something small out of his pocket, and handed it to her. It was a pill. "We cannot afford compromised."

She looked down at the pill, cyanide.

Taking it, though unsure she would use it, she proved to Basard that she was with them, one hundred per cent.

Navigating the hospital was easy at first, no one paid any mind to her as everyone had a task, and she looked like a nurse. As she turned a corner, she came to a halt upon seeing two armed police officers standing outside of a room. She quickly got out of sight, but kept the image in her mind for she knew that the room had to house Jim Gordon.

She located the storage room for all of the heavy narcotics, and slid in completely unnoticed. It did not take her long to locate what she was looking for, and slid as much as she could inside the deep scrubs pockets. The bottles of pills rattled, and she knew she would not make it far. She needed a distraction. Pulling out the radio Basard had her keep on her person, she contacted him.

"I have the product, I need a distraction," she told him.

"Five minutes," was all he said in reply.

Suddenly gun shots were being fired and alarms were going off all over the hospital. People ran by the room, Bría peered out to look at which direction they were heading. Some people shut themselves in rooms, barring the doors most likely, protecting their patients. Bría quickly left the back room, a box in her hands that was high suspicious. She kept herself an inconspicuous as possible, and no one seemed to pay any mind to her. She glanced up to see which way to go, and made eye contact with a police officer. He was young, and he studied her with intent.

Another gun shot sounded and the police officer spun on his heels, yelling something into his radio, "This is detective Blake, the hospital is under attack! Send back up, I think they're after Gordon!"

Bría disappeared from sight, back down to the basement, and disappeared into Gotham city to the rendezvous point. Half an hour later, Bría having calmed down and the sweat no longer dripping off of her, but chilling her to the bone, Basard arrived at last.

"You did well," he told her, and then they disappeared from the limelight.  

Any suggestions on how to make this chapter more interesting? I always have a hard time with action like this! Comments are really appreciated, don't forget, they really do help motivate me.