Chapter 5

Sophia was sitting at one of the work stations, in the main room, waiting for her dad to be down so she could say goodnight.

So she sat there and listened to the things around her.

Izzy, Lydia, and Magnus walked into the room.

"Any word from the Clave?" Izzy asked Lydia.

"Not yet, and we've been trying for the past four hours. Something's up." Lydia said as Alec joined them.

"Mmm, the Clave being unhelpful? Who's shocked? Show of hands?" Magnus said, making Sophia perk up a bit.

Sophia didn't know why, but she liked the warlock her dad considered a friend. Maybe it was because of all the glitter, or maybe because he would pretty much spoil her.

"I'm worried. I can't sense Jace through our parabatai bond." Alec said

"We'll find him, Alexander." Magnus said before he started to use his magic to try and track him.

"When we arrested Hodge, he said Valentine was on a ship. They must still be over water." Izzy said looking at Alec.

"Pull up the waterways around New York." Izzy did as Lydia said

"The ship couldn't have gone too far." Izzy said as Alec turned to Magnus.

"Anything?"

"Sorry."

"There's got to be something!"

"I don't see him"

Alec started to walk towards the middle of the room.

"All right, listen up! I want 24/7 monitoring of the Hudson and East Rivers. If you see anything unusual you come to me first. "

"I've got this, Alec." Lydia said. That made Alec turn to her.

"Then why haven't you found Jace yet?"

"Don't forget who you're talking to. I am still the head of this institute. "

"And my brother is still missing!"

Izzy walked over to Alec and said in a not so loud voice.

"Why don't you just take a break?"

"Not now, Izzy."

"Isabelle's right. And it's not a request.  You're dismissed." Lydia said.

"Fine!"

Magnus went to grab Alec's arm to say something to him but Alec ripped his arm from his grip and practically yelled.

"Everyone, just back off!" And with that Alec left.

Magnus, a few minutes after, noticed that Sophia watched this whole thing, so he went over to her.

"Hey sweetie, why don't you go up to bed. Okay?" She nodded before she asked.

"Is daddy okay?"

Magnus smiled at her.

"Your dad is fine. He is just worried about your uncle Jace. Okay? Nothing to worry about."

Sophia nodded again and then went to her room. She went to bed but woke up in the middle of the night to a bad dream, and couldn't sleep.

In situations like this, she would go to Jace, because she knew he was still awake at this time, but now she couldn't because he was missing.

She sat there for a moment before she went to her dad's room, across the hall, to see the light still on.

Sophia opened the door slowly, to see him sitting on his bed, with his back facing the door.