Chapter Thirty One

Something's a-brewing...

Also, I apologize for this chapter. It is a bit all over the place and short but I just wanted to update.

"What the hell was that at lunch?" Damian snapped at Jason as soon as the family got in the car after school.

Jason stared blankly back at Damian. "Watch your tongue. You shouldn't be cursing, you're only twelve."

Damian rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Answer my question."

'I hate you!'

Jason clenched his jaw. "No name and his friends wanted to mess with us so I messed back. Simple as that."

"What did you whisper to him?"

"None of your damn business."

"Jay-"

"Damian, back off." Jason growled, glaring at his younger brother. "It was a private conversation."

Damian's eyes flashed with hurt and anger before he looked away from Jason, starting up a frivolous conversation with Dick.

Jason glowered the whole ride home and was the first one out of the car, not bothering to wait for Alfred to open the door for him. He stormed inside and went straight for his room, ignoring Selina and Bruce as they called his name.

Jason slammed his door shut, locking it behind him. He took three deep breaths before he walked over to his computer, opening up his email. The cursor hovered over a specific message, one he received while still in the hospital.

He debated opening it, knowing the can of worms it would unleash if he did. But then again, if he opened it, he could finally put an end to all of this...to everything.

Jason was about to delete the email when a knock sounded on his door. He paused, listening as Selina spoke through the wood. "Jason, Damian told us what happened at lunch today. Your father and I have decided that therapy is the best option. We have set up an appointment for next Thursday at four, here at the manor. This is nonnegotiable."

Jason didn't respond, instead he opened the email and started down a path of no return.

While Jason was isolating in his room, Damian was ranting to any of his siblings that would listen.

"-don't understand what has gotten into him!" Damian huffed, crossing his arms over his chest as he threw himself backwards onto the armchair in Barbara's room.

"Damian, he has been through a lot the past few months. You both have. He is just...trying to process everything." Helena tried to supply an answer as best she could as she went through her older sister's closet.

"Yeah, but why won't he talk to me?" Damian practically whined. "We always used to talk about everything..."

"That was when you were locked away from society and it was just the two of you and your psychotic birth mother. Things change, Damian, people change. Its the way of life." Barbara shrugged. "Besides, Jason is super protective of you, he is probably shutting you out in some attempt to shield you."

"I don't need any protecting."

"And Jason knows this, subconsciously, it just puts his mind at ease to guard you."

Damian paused, mulling over Helena's words. "What would he be guarding me from, anyways? Mo- Talia is dead."

The girls exchanged a look. "Who knows? Probably nothing but his anxieties."

Damian sighed. "You're right. I've been too hard on him, trying to force him to be the same as he's always been before Talia returned to our lives. I should go apologize."

Damian stood up and strode out of the room, heading towards Jason's room. He was about to knock when he heard muffled talking on the other side of the door. He figured Jason was talking to Roy, he had heard they had a bit of a spat the other day, so he decided to give him some privacy and walked away from his brother.

Dinner that night was tense to say the least. Everyone felt like they were walking on eggshells around Jason, unsure if they said anything if it would set him off.

Everyone except Damian, of course. He sat right next to Jason and stared at him until he got Jason to look at him. "Hey."

"Hi?"

"I just wanted to apologize for earlier. I was pushing you and you were clearly uncomfortable. I was in the wrong. I'm sorry."

Jason nodded. "I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

"You have been under a lot of stress lately, its understandable if you lash out every now and then. Don't worry about it, Jay." Damian smiled. "You're my brother and I will always love you, no matter what."

Jason hid his flinch, pushing down the gnawing feeling of guilt building in his stomach. "I love you too, Dami."

"This is all well and dandy, but can we save the sweetness for dessert please?" Stephanie drawled.

"You're just upset that we got a wholesome apology and you never apologized to us for being a bitch when we first got here." Jason teased.

"Hey, in my defense...I have none. I am sorry, I was out of line. I don't remember what I said, but if it has stuck with you for this many months it must have been horrible." Stephanie winced.

Jason and Damian snorted. "That was the worst apology ever but we accept."

"...can we start dinner now? I'm starving." Tim grumbled.

The family began their dinner, completely oblivious to the turmoil of one of their own. They chatted mindlessly about whatever popped up, no one paying attention to the false grins or forced laughter coming from Jason.

Jason felt like crawling in a hole and hiding forever. He didn't deserve this family. He was a joke, a mockery of a son and a brother. He should've put the gun to his head after taking Talia out but he didn't want to scar Damian and his family like that. The only reason he didn't is he has loose ends to tie up.

And if he has his way, by the end of the month he will have his affairs in order and all loose ends taken care of.

He just hopes Damian can forgive him for what he had to do.