CHAPTER SIX

"Life isn't about avoiding bruises."

The last couple of hours consisted of Alex's fingers flying across the keyboard on her work computer

The last couple of hours consisted of Alex's fingers flying across the keyboard on her work computer. Momentarily analyzing photos from the crime scene and evidence bags that got faxed from the crime scene investigators. Slight excitement coursed through her, knowing that the first crime this guy committed wasn't a one-off, and gave her the possibility of solving it and catching the creep. She also felt dread, knowing the commissioner was brutally murdered, again, and how it would affect Gotham over the next little while. The second commissioner murder in a year, first Peter Savage, now Jonathan Pike. The sound of his wife scream-crying echoed in her mind. It was gut wrenching.

It was nearing 4:00 am by now, and she felt her eyes slightly getting heavy. For a good couple of hours, her adrenaline was in full effect but as it wore off, the pain around her neck and on her eye was slowly returning, reminding her of hours prior of what conspired between her and James. But her job came first, she didn't want to pause to feel sorry for herself. She decided distracting herself in work for the next little while was the best thing for herself.

A small knock comes from her door then the door is being pushed open by Jim Gordon. He had been helping, but was rather occupied with the mayor and some other workers discussing what was to come now, since the commissioner was now dead. Alex had an idea of who would be next in line, but the thought of Jim becoming commissioner, although exciting, was now terrifying. Peter Savage was murdered by the Riddler, now Jonathon Pike by this new killer. She didn't want Jim to be in that kind of spotlight, simply because she didn't want to see him dead next, not that she wanted to see anyone get murdered, but that's just how Gotham seemed to be. Dark, gruesome crimes, targeting those in power. Trying to make a statement, shocking the citizens; making them scared for their lives.

"So, how's it going kid?" He shuts the door after himself and sits in a chair across from her desk. She knows she won't like where their small talk conversation ends.

"Getting there. When I'm done I was planning to meet with uh, Batman." She sighs, pulling her eyes from her monitor. "Should I start calling you Commissioner Gordon?" She feigns a joke.

"No no. And good plan, he might have some ideas. Now, there's something else I want to ask you about..." When she meets his eyes, all she sees is pity. She sighs inwardly, knowing what he'll say.

"I don't want to talk about it. I handled it, I can handle myself." She fights the urge to bring her hand to cover her neck at least to attempt a cover up, but that would definitely draw more attention to it. He's already seen the damage that's been done.

"I know you can, but you know we can talk about things right. Are you filing any charges? Did you know this person?" He asks like it's an interrogation. She knows his ways, she learned from the man himself.

She nods slowly, pushing back away from her desk and peering over to see him more. "I was seeing him for a bit, I don't know how, uh- he came over kinda intoxicated. He got out of there pretty fast when I waved my gun around in his face. I'm not pressing charges, unless he comes after me again. But I have my doubts. " Her mind drifted off, images of James terrified expression lingering.