CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"A good laugh heals a lot of hurts."

"Hey kid

"Hey kid. How are you holding up?" Gordon says through the phone. Alex and Gordon call every few days it seems. It fills a void in her heart, and he's happy to help. When they worked so closely together, it was like he was a mentor to her, a father figure if you will. Of course Alex wasn't close with her own father, but she loved him dearly. But Gordon was there for the extra things, to guide and teach her, mainly through her career. They used to have late night talks, about general life lessons in general.

"Better each day I think." She replies, forcing a small smile on her lips, though he can't see her obviously. She always told herself to fake it til you make it. Maybe if she faked a smile, it would start to feel real.

Honestly though, Alex's pain did subside with each passing day. Which was a relief. She was working towards going back to work soon, to keep herself busy and occupied. Sitting around in the Wayne manor, with no responsibilities or things to do was causing her to feel a little crazy.

"Glad to hear it." She can sense his relief through the phone.

"I want to maybe come back next week, you think that's okay?" She nervously wonders, her fingers toying with a loose thread on her pants. He was shocked, for sure, at her readiness. It hadn't been long since her fathers killing. Of course, the case was at a standstill for this reason, but it was more important Alex had this time off to mourn, and the case would be taken over by someone else, since it got so personal so fast. As Commissioner, he couldn't do this himself, but he could help for sure.

"So soon? I'm not sure..." He's filled with unease.

"Jim." She rarely used his first name, so it tells him she's being serious. "I'm ready. And if I find it too much, I just go back on leave. Worst case scenario obviously. I can't just.. stay cooped up anymore." Alex explains with an annoyed sigh.

"I guess you're right, yea. Might and well try." He sighs. Gordon knows she's a tough person, but he's seen it in the field before; you think you're ready but when it comes down to it you aren't yet.

They go back and forth a little, Alex asks if there's leads, Gordon says there isn't. Then again, Gordon talks about his wife, his new role, and suddenly the phone call ends. Alex feels good, refreshed after telling him she's ready. She was scared to speak it into existence, she already knows Bruce will not be pleased when she tells him she's ready to go back to work. He's worried, as she's now a target. But she can't just stop her entire life because of this. The faster they catch Joker, the quickest she's no longer a target. Easy as that.

She slides the phone into her pocket and tip toes out of the bathroom. She only took the call there because Bruce and Alfred were downstairs having a business meeting, and obviously people couldn't spot her at the Wayne Manor. It would jeopardize Bruce's public image, and raise suspicion since her father was literally killed, and it was known in the media her and Bat were partners during this time to locate Joker himself. It would be too easy for connections to be made, and suddenly Bruce would be exposed. Game over. She would hate to be the reason that happened.