CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Scars have the strange power to remind us our past is real."

The next couple of days were the same, keeping the nocturnal schedule, Bruce and Alex stayed together in the manor

The next couple of days were the same, keeping the nocturnal schedule, Bruce and Alex stayed together in the manor. They avoided too serious of conversations about her fathers death, or about their new found 'relationship' if you could even call it that. They tiptoed around the subject, but ended up in each other's arms at the end of the 'day'.

But it was starting to get suspicious that Batman hadn't been out in a couple of nights. He hadn't really heard from Gordon, and the signal hadn't been shining in the sky. But he knew he would have to get back out there. It probably wasn't as suspicious as he thought, but he couldn't help but be on edge.

So at nightfall, he went out on his usual night watch. Alex felt a little strange being alone in the manor, but she kept herself busy. Alfred had dropped off a new phone and SIM card for her on her nightstand while she was showering in Bruce's bathroom.

She grabbed the phone and immediately called the one person she knew who cared for her, in some way, shape, or form; Jim Gordon. The dial tone rang quickly but then he picked up.

"Hello, Commissioner Gordon speaking " His voice came through the phone. She felt a sense of joy spike through her, which hasn't happened in god knows how long.

"Jim? I-it's me. It's Alex." She chokes out.

"Alex? Are you okay? Are you safe? God kid, I went by your place the last few days and you weren't there." The urgency in his voice breaks her heart, she can imagine how worried he's been since the night her father was killed, probably thinking the killer got her.

"I'm fine. It's been rough without a phone but I finally got a new one today. Uhm, I'm staying at my uncle's place these days. Since you know, my place isn't safe." She feels bad lying, but she obviously couldn't jeopardize revealing Batman's identity to Gordon, it wasn't her place to tell although she knows he could be trusted with the information.

"I'm glad to hear your voice, glad to hear you're safe." He pauses. "I'm really sorry about your father. I didn't get a chance to properly tell you that. And I need you to know, Alex, you take as much of your personal leave days as you need. Hell, you got so many you never used em' before." He says sincerely, followed by a light chuckle.

"I appreciate it Jim, thank you." The two fall into conversation about his new position, what it entitled, then some casual conversation about his family and so on. It was nice to talk about normal, happy topics, distractions from the sadness that constantly blanketed Alex like a dark cloud. When the phone call ended, she sighed and collapsed back onto the bed.

...

Alex felt a bit uneasy stepping foot into the Batcave. She felt like it was some secret place, like a child creeping downstairs to see the presents under the Christmas tree. The time she's stayed she has only been in here once, when they arrived back from her father's crime scene. She was so distraught to take in any surroundings.