CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Those we love never leave us, there are things death cannot touch."

The outside of Gotham City Hall was growing rampant with graffiti, Molotov cocktails

The outside of Gotham City Hall was growing rampant with graffiti, Molotov cocktails. On this particular night, Bat and Alex wanted to believe it was no coincidence. And maybe, Arthur was present. Hell, maybe he organized it himself. There had been some media uproar about the clown followers planning a huge protest at Gotham City Hall. So naturally, this was where the two decided to stake out tonight. Batman had Alfred look into some of the online accounts, but couldn't make any interesting identifications.

"I think I should walk through them. Maybe I can get something." Alex mumbles, staring through her binoculars.

"You're not going down there alone." Bat replies. He stood a bit behind her, watching her crouched down, eyeing the clowns. It was hard to see if any were Arthur. He was a skinny, pale white man, who looked frail. That was 90% of the crowd below. His exception was his mangled face.

"Well, if you're there, I'm sure it'll cause a fuss." She answers simply.

"No moves without me." He reminds her of a conversation they had prior this week.

"Let's go then." Within a second she's up, staring at him. "Please. We can't see a thing from up here."

The two made their way down the edge of the building. Bat didn't have a great feeling, but he was stubborn, as was she, and he didn't want to see her go down alone. Once they're on the ground, Alex decides to scale the edge of the crowd before diving in. Her eyes were quick, scanning the multitudes of people. They clambered on about hating the city, the politics, those in power, etc. It was typical, something that's never changed in Gotham.

Of course, seeing Batman, they get stopped and talk to some of the thugs. Some are almost amazed, others intimidated, some even angry he's around. But they don't dare start an argument. They know who will win.

Through the chaos, one of them slips their dirty fingers into Alex's back pocket and slips her phone out. Unknowing to her, Batman sees it clear as day. He reaches and grabs the man by the throat, throwing him off guard. Alex turns on her heel, seeing the altercation happening. Then she sees her phone in the man's hand. She reaches and grabs his wrist but the phone falls. Then, it's trampled by the crowd. She's quick to reach down and ab the now broken device.

Batman angrily lets the guy go, grabs Alex's wrist and pulls her away from the crowds.

...

"What a fucking creep." Alex mumbles, holding her broken phone. The screen was so cracked, the inside was also damaged as well.

"Good he just grabbed your phone." Batman replies over the low rumble of the car. It wasn't crazy loud and backfiring since he was going a regular speed limit. She glanced up at him, a small smirk tugging at her lips.