SEVEN

When Giselle wakes, Bruce is gone. She's not particularly surprised, seeing as he lives a nocturnal life. A small, scribbled note tells her he's gone to meet with Lieutenant Gordon and would be back soon. She takes this opportunity to slip into the shower, enjoying the soothing feeling of steaming hot water pouring down onto her skin from the rainfall showerhead.

Giselle's mind trails back to the night before and the sweet kisses she shared with Bruce. The feeling of his hard, muscular chest against her cheek. She shakes her head as she steps out of the foggy bathroom, her body wrapped in a fluffy towel. Bruce is intently scribbling in a thin notebook when she walks out. He's dressed in a simple black t-shirt and dark pants. He nearly drops the notebook from his lap when he instantly has a full view of Giselle's body wrapped loosely with a towel. His stormy eyes shamelessly drink in every inch of her, and she does not complain.

"Hi," she whispers as he shuts the notebook, his eyes wide. A blush dusts her cheeks as she rakes her hands through her wet hair.

Bruce mutters something under his breath before directing his gaze to the floor while Giselle pads over to her suitcase and pulls out an outfit.

"I met with Gordon," he says at last, breaking the silence. "He thinks the Penguin is the rat,"

"Penguins have wings too," Giselle states in agreement before glancing hesitantly at him. "Uh—just turn around for a moment, please?"

His lips part in surprise at her request, but he shifts on his spot on the bed to face the door. Giselle drops the tower to the floor in a soft thud before sliding on her lace undergarments. Bruce can't help but tilt his head slightly so that he can see her out of his peripheral vision. He can just make out her milky skin and a flash of black lace. She quickly shimmies on a pair of flare jeans and a long-sleeved top.

"So, the Penguin?" she speaks up, indicating she's done getting dressed.

"We're staking him out tonight to find out if he is the rat," Bruce informs her, folding a leg over the other. His dark locks fall gently across his temple.

"Can I come?" asks Giselle hopefully as she dries her hair with her towel before hanging it up in the bathroom.

"It's too dangerous, Giselle," Bruce tells her, his tone serious.

Shivers erupt down her spine at the sound of her name coming out of his mouth.

"I'm a big girl, I can handle myself, y'know?" she insists, plopping down on the bed next to him.

"Right, like you did when those thugs cornered you?" he quips.

Giselle throws a pillow at Bruce, and a ghost of a smile dances upon his face as he catches it.

"Please?" she begs as he gazes at her. "I have nothing better to do!"

Bruce raises an eyebrow before sighing and nodding. "Fine, but you're staying in the car with Gordon, no matter what,"

"Aye aye, Batty," grins Giselle, stretching across the bed to peck his cheek before jumping to her feet. The skin beneath her kiss turns rosy pink.

"Don't call me that," grumbles Bruce, causing the blonde to laugh. He can't help but want to smile as well, and the sight is rare.

   It is much later in the night when Giselle is seated in the passenger seat of Lieutenant Gordon's car. Rain is plummeting angrily down from the sky around them while thunder booms above them. They're parked outside the Iceberg Lounge, watching from a dark parking lot.

"There's the Penguin," Giselle exclaims all of a sudden, spotting the man's larger figure.

"I wonder what's in the bags," comments Gordon thoughtfully.