0013 | YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, KID

YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, KID
story: a sinners song au
status: published
characters: august & dick (and the batfam)

a/n: y'all know I had to write a one shot
for my favorite two idiots to the song
that literally IS Augustine. there are no ifs,
ands, or buts, I will take no criticism. this
song and mirrorball makeup Augustine's
entire personality.

AUGUSTINE THOMASINE FINLEY WOULD NOT HAVE PICKED HER LIFE GIVEN THE FOOTNOTES STORY OF IT

AUGUSTINE THOMASINE FINLEY WOULD NOT HAVE PICKED HER LIFE GIVEN THE FOOTNOTES STORY OF IT. She would have taken anything else, something with substance. With a type of happiness that carried with her through her entire life, the type of happiness that gets passed down to her children and to their children. Something so pure, so right, that the world can't stomp it out. No matter what the world tried to do, Augustine would have chosen a life with a footnote story where happiness persisted. Even if it meant she'd have struggles, have less than what she does now, she would do anything to have a life full of unbridled joy and happiness. Anything. Because, Augustine Thomasine Finley couldn't tell anyone the last time she was truly happy. Perhaps she never had been — maybe she was living in a world where happiness and not feeling completely sad were synonymous with each other. A world where going through her day without something reminding her of everything she doesn't have was a good day. Augustine Thomasine Finely knows that people would kill to be in her spot, to be financially secure for their entire lives. To never have to bat an eye when pulling out their card and paying for something. But money doesn't solve all of a persons problems.

No, most people find solace in their friends and family. Of which, are something Augustine Finley doesn't have much of anymore. Or, maybe, she never had it to begin with. At least, she knew she had the friends. She had the Titans and for the most part, she still did. But they all had a life of their own — and in some ways she had burned some bridges on her own. She couldn't call on Roy anymore, not after the things she said to him when they were both young and learning what love was. And when she and Roy split, the rest of the Titans fell apart as well. They weren't a team anymore, just friends who all loosely stayed connected (aside from the few that were in constant contact) and knew they could rely on each other when absolutely necessary. But otherwise, Augustine Thomasine Finley was all alone. Her mother was still splitting her time three ways — between fighting crime, patching people up, and being the social butterfly that Gotham tabloids love to write about. She could call Margaret if she needed something and it wasn't like she was financially independent either. No, Augustine had her life set financially. Enough to support ten more of her (at the very least), but having the financial support doesn't mean she had anything else.

But, Augustine tried to not let that get to her head. She was doing good for herself — she was back in Gotham, closer to the one person she kept in contact with. She had finally finished medical school and finished her first year of residency (if she still had friends they probably would have gone away during her intern year, she was a walking corpse). And in some ways that became a time for Augustine to see her mother, one of the longest times outside of their patrols that she could remember being near her mother. And being back in Gotham meant attending the galas, putting on the pretty dresses and making herself look presentable for the other members of the high society. It was a little bit better now, when she thought about it, that she was out of medical school. Then again, that opened a whole separate side of problems.