0003 | SHOULDN'T YOU BE SLEEPING?

SHOULDN'T YOU BE SLEEPING?
story: eyes of a phantom
status: unpublished
characters: atlas phantom & poe dameron

warnings: straight fluff

ATLAS NURSED HER CUP OF TEA CAREFULLY, her footsteps were light and airy as she walked gracefully through the halls

ATLAS NURSED HER CUP OF TEA CAREFULLY, her footsteps were light and airy as she walked gracefully through the halls. Quiet enough so that she couldn't wake anyone sleeping, but loud enough not to scare the people who were awake. Her blonde hair was tied up behind her face, a few stragglers were outside of it, tickling her cheeks. A shawl draped across her shoulders, providing a stronger sense of warmth when combined with the tea. She sighed lightly when she reached the door that lead outdoors, she was going to look up to the stars.

There were nights when the world seemed too loud and the future far too present on her mind for her to sleep, if she did she had no idea what mindset she would wake up to. So she found comfort in the things that never changed — or well, the ones that didn't change as often as people. The stars were always there, each and every constellation would be there for her to see on these nights. By this point she was sure she would be able to name them all out to someone if they asked, her father was the one who first taught her about them. It brought back fond memories of being a young girl with her father, sitting outside of their small home on Naboo. She missed her home planet at times, it was a place of beauty for her. The green grasses and heavenly blue waters were something that lived in a vivid memory, yet she found herself there in her dreams. Everyone once in a while she would go without a vision and see herself back at home as a young child.

It was a little cold as she walked outside, the wind sent a chill down her spine. She sipped at her tea to help warm her body up once more, sitting down on an open space of grass. The weather on base had always been colder than what it was on Naboo, she always had a difficult time trying to dress accordingly. But upon the sight of the stars her body warmed. There was no specific reasons as to why, Atlas thought that maybe it was because her heart was connected to them. She always felt a deep connection to them, as though they were her true home.

She laid back into the grass on the ground, smiling up at the night sky above her. Her eyes glittered like the millions of stars above her, heart calming with each second she stated above. Blonde hair sprawled behind her it was a truly majestic scene that Poe Dameron had walked out to. He had met and talked to Atlas a few times before this, she had always spoke of the stars in such a soft tone it wasn't a surprise to see her out there. He just didn't expect to have his heart leap into his throat like that.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" His voice broke the comfortable sounds of the outdoors to the blonde, she just smiled in response, patting the ground next to her. A laugh erupted from her lips as Poe tripped while walking over to the spot, both of their cheeks holding onto a fair pink color. She bit at the bottom of her lip before speaking up, "I could be asking you the same thing Commander."

"Never have been able to sleep very well," Poe's voice was soft, his head turning to look over to Atlas. Their eyes met and Atlas could have sworn it was meant to be right there, this was the moment that was bound by fate to help create something bigger than just the two of them. The hopes of the galaxy swam in his eyes, the beauty of the stars swam in hers. And together they were drowning in each other. "Not with knowing that there's still so much left to do."

"Well my reasoning pales in comparison," Atlas muttered, her voice was soft and carried by the winds around them. It danced delicately around them and by the time it reached Poe's ears it was melodic. She felt minuscule in comparison to him, she felt small compared to the power he held in his soul. There was so much to Poe Dameron that made him scary in some senses to her — but yet she felt as though he was the only person she could trust. Much could be said the same for Poe, Atlas never ceased to scare her. Maybe it was due to the fact that she was practically a ghost around the rebellion, no one knew much about her. But for once he found solace in a person around him, someone who's peace transferred over to him as well.

"I seriously doubt that."

"It's the temperature," Atlas let out with a small laugh, "my home planet was much warmer than here. I guess I'm still adapting to the change of weather."

"Are you cold now?" Poe held only concern for the woman in front of him, eyes scanning over her bundled figure. She couldn't help but smile at the sincerity he held, shaking her head as a response.

"Not now, there's something about the stars that warm me more than anything else."

"Like they're home? Right?" Poe asked, head moving to stare up at them. "It's the same for me if so, they're always there and it's comforting to see. You can just look up to the sky and see something that reminds you of home and when you're gone for so long they practically become home."

"Yeah," her blue eyes scanned over his face with a smile, heart leaping out of her chest, "just that."

"You and I are much more alike than you thought, Phantom," Poe referenced back to the first time they spoke — wherein Atlas said that they would have nothing in common, ever. Atlas' cheeks blazed in a bright pink, perhaps she was wrong about one thing when it came to the future. And perhaps she was okay with that.