Chapter 4 - The Invitation

The movie was stupidly scary. I barely managed to hold back my screams of terror and absolute fright. The pillow I grabbed became the buffer between the screen and my eyes. No one else seemed really scared of the movie like I was. The girls looked really into it, I think those two are major horror fans. Roy looked excited, he did jump a little bit at the jump scares but instead of looking afraid like I was, he looked thrilled. It freaked me out. Tim and Jason looked bored. Tim fell asleep halfway through the movie and started snoring until Barbra smacked him awake.

Dick and Farah were just talking softly amongst themselves the whole movie. It was kind of cute I guess. Farah was so giggling and Dick was all smiles. He kept wrapping his arms around her shoulders and she kept playing with his hands. If we weren't all in this room right now I have a feeling they would be all over each other. Made me proud to see my bestie flirting with her long-time crush. Made me wish I could do the same with Jason. I took a little peek at the rich boy next to me and my heart fluttered. He was so handsome and so sweet. Everything I imagined he'd be.

"That was kind of a really shit movie," Tim said as the credits rolled on the screen.

"And how would you know? You were asleep and drooling on my shirt for half of it!" Barbra smacked Tim again who laughed it off. Donna laughed at the two and pulled out her phone to snap a picture of them fighting. I laugh a little too, those two act like siblings.

"So, what are we wearing to Conner's Halloween party next week?" Donna casually asks the group. "Are we doing a group costume again?"

"I am not doing that shit again," Jason mutters.

"Yeah, that's not really the vibe I want to go for this year either," Dick adds. Donna nods in understanding.

"What party?" Farah asks looking around confused.

"Oh, our friend Conner holds a Halloween party every year. A lot of people from Gotham, Metropolis, Central City, and Star City end up going."

"How can he fit all those people in his house?" I ask.

"His dad is Lex Luthor," Barbra says casually. As if Lex Luthor isn't one of the richest men in America next to Bruce Wayne.

"O-oh." I scratch my head in bewilderment. I feel like I've entered a new world or something.

"He's down to earth though. Not snobby at all. He grew up in this small town in Kanas with his grandparents before deciding to move to Metropolis. So he didn't grow up spoiled like some of the other rich snobs in this town." Barbra scowls at Tim, very obviously trying to throw shade and call him spoiled.

"Do you two want to come? The more the merrier. I'm sure I could get you guys on the list. Conner is super chill." Donna ignores her two friends fighting on the couch and looks over at us with a sweet smile.

There's a list for a house party?

"Fuck yeah, I wanna go," Farah grins excitedly. She looks over at me expectantly.

"Sure," I sigh exasperated. She's so excited I couldn't say no if I tried.

"Bet. I'll text you guys the deets. Give me your number." Donna pulls out her phone and I rattle off my number and Farah does the same.

"It's getting late Imani. Do you need a ride home?" Jason asks me.

"What time is it?" I ask him. I still haven't gotten up to get my phone so I can't check it myself.

"It's almost 10." He answers. My eyes almost bug out of my head.

"Yeah, I gotta go. But Farah can take me home. Her mom would kill her too if she didn't come home soon." I hop off the couch and grab my things before also grabbing my best friend who was pouting at me.