Chapter 14

Billy made a break for the end of the hall, glancing over his shoulder and booking it around the corner before slowing down. He glanced down at the jersey in his hand before slipping it on and smiling softly. "Cool..." he whispered before heading towards the field. "Freddy's gonna love this thing," he said to himself as he walked towards the center of the field to transform.

- - -

"Wait, he stole your jersey?" Hal asked before laughing. Victor chuckled along with him, shaking his head at the kid as he vanished.

"Yep- always wondered what he did with it actually."

"Looks like you're going to find out," Barry commented as Cap appeared, landing in an empty park before transforming back into Billy Batson. He booked it down the sidewalk, still clad in Victor's jersey, a wide smile on his face.

He rounded a corner and came up to a large house, shifting his weight before going to the side and heaving himself over the chainlink fence that made up the backyard. The 12-year-old climbed up the drainpipe and onto the roof, creeping along and peering into his and Freddy's darkened bedroom.

He climbed in through the window and stepped foot on a wooden toy chest next to the window, turning around to find the lights suddenly flick on and Darla and Freddy standing (or in Darla's case sitting) right in front of him. 

"Aw, come on..." Billy mumbled, hopping off the toy chest he was standing on onto the carpet.

"Can't a guy get any privacy? You two just ruined the surprise," Billy said with a pout. Darla and Freddy shared a look before glancing at Billy.

"What surprise?" Darla asked.

"Wait, is that-" Freddy's eyes widened as Billy took off the jersey and flung it at the blonde.

"Oh! Football!" Darla said happily as Freddy marveled at the jersey. The blonde glanced at Billy as he shoved his hands in his pockets and rocked on his feet. "Your jersey's cool! Where'd you get it?"

"Yea? I stole it. It was supposed to be a birthday gift for sharp sticks over there."

"You did not," Darla said, shaking her head.

"My birthday's not til next week." Freddy piped up.

"And?"

Freddy shrugged and Billy walked past them and out of the room. His foster siblings followed him, coming down the stairs after him as he flicked on a light and made his way into the kitchen. Billy pulled open the fridge and peered inside.