chapter one

█ ✪ █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█ ✪ █

chapter one: i could be a pretty girl

a/n:

bro, i cringed like three times because louise is a little TOO much like me. she's also kinda depressing in retrospect, but we don't gotta talk about it.

i forgot they had a brother ('you know my little brother lost his JV slot when they brought you yo-yo's up here') so i'll probably cast him, but he's basically irrelevant so far so just imagine another weirdly pretty kid with dark hair and blue eyes--

tw(s) -- rick is kinda annoying but he means well when it comes to his sister, a few awkward moments, brief mentions of bad parenting, friendship breakups, and bullying (life hasn't been kind to louise riley), & linda is a bitch.

█ ✪ █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█ ✪ █

"No. Absolutely not. What in the hell is this, anyway?"

"It's called fashion, Rick." Mindy snarks as she adjusts the neckline of Louise's new red, v-neck top. "You wouldn't understand."

Louise Riley nearly breaks her back trying to twist around to look at how her backside looks in the jeans she's wearing, eyeing herself up in the full-length mirror. "I like these pants, Min."

Mindy inclines her head, and they both pay absolutely zero mind as Rick starts to sputter. They're not even sure why he's in the dorm room with them, but apparently, Mindy announcing that she'd rearranged his little sister's wardrobe for her second to last year at Eden Hall was too much for him to handle. He's always had his nose in her business.

"You're not wearing those in public." Rick continues even if he's clearly being ignored, eyes on the ceiling. "They're- they're- they make you look indecent. Dad's gonna blow a gasket."

Rick's always blaming his overprotective, overbearing attitude on their father. Maybe, at some point, it was based on Tom Riley's conservative attitude- in the way that he detested his second youngest child's imaginative spirit and gentle nature, and her rather pathetic inability to play sports- but Tom's largely given up on his bullying now. Whether he saw there was no winning and got bored of it or got tired of his wife and eldest son always hounding him for it, Louise is lucky to get her father's attention at all. Negative or not.

That's why his comment goes ignored, because they know better, but then Mindy gets too upset to let it go untouched and whips around to face her boyfriend. "You said I looked hot in these just last week! Did I look indecent then, too?"

Caught in between a rock and a hard place, her brother starts to stumble over his words again, and it makes Louise laugh at his expense. Quietly, though. Can never be too careful with him.

(Even if they haven't gotten into a real fight since they were kids.)

"No, Min- I mean, you did look really hot- but there's a big difference between my girlfriend wearing them and my baby sister-"

It's Louise's turn to get exasperated with her brother.

"It's one year, Rick." She huffs, fiddling anxiously with the belt in her pants. "You're only one year older than me."

He's quick to correct her. "Nearly two. I'm January, you're November."

"Oh, please, that's barely-" Louise cuts herself off- "I'm sixteen and a junior in high school. The only way you're getting these pants off me is taking them off." Rarely assertive, the girl gets as surprised by her tone as her brother does, his eyebrows shooting up.