Chapter Two || Election day

"See the worst of me, and try to love me despite all the dark you find".

- Tyler Knott Gregson

It was a busy day for Oswald Cobblepot

It was a busy day for Oswald Cobblepot. He had decided to run for Mayor of Gotham City against Aubrey James and the mansion his father left him was flooding with people running and making the last preparatives for the big day. The house was decorated with American flags and posters with Oswald's face and his slogan: 'Make Gotham safe again'.

Charlotte Bateman and Edward Nygma were staying at the mansion with Oswald and were supporting their friend on this new path he had started on. Oswald had even bought them suits to look more professional during the elections.

"Who are those people Butch is talking to?" Ed asked Charlotte as he eyed Oswald's henchman suspiciously.

Charlotte followed Ed's gaze and saw Butch Gilzean speaking with a man and a woman she didn't know. He gave them both an envelope and thanked them before they walked away.

"I have no idea," Charlotte told him, eying the large man between narrowed eyes. They would definitely have to investigate it further.

Then a voice interrupted their thoughts and made them smile. "I must say, you two are looking quite fancy in those suits". They both turned around to face their friend Oswald, who was wearing a royal purple suit and his hair was neatly brushed. He stood before them supporting himself with the help of his cane, the handle shaped like a Penguin's head. "I had to guess on the jacket size. I hope they fit".

"Perfectly," Ed reassured him and both him and Charlotte sent a thankful smile in Oswald's way. "We cannot thank you enough".

Oswald shrugged his shoulders as if it was nothing. "It's just a suit".

"No. No, if it weren't for you, we would still be falling asleep to the screams of the insane," Ed closed his eyes for a few seconds remembering the restless nights he spent at Arkham Asylum. Charlotte shuddered just by thinking about that. Then Ed intertwined his fingers with Charlotte. "And Charlotte and I would still be apart".

"Yes, thank you, Oswald," Charlotte said with a happy smile and planted a kiss on his cheek.

Oswald chuckled and nodded at her. "The screaming becomes almost a white noise after a while, doesn't it?"

"It does," Ed agreed. "I  do believe, Oswald, Arkham has made us all stronger".

Oswald took a step forward with his light green eyes shining brightly. He took a velvet rug off the table behind Charlotte and Ed and the couple turned around to see their certificates from Arkham framed. "I couldn't agree more. Which is why I had our release certificates framed. A reminder of past struggles and new beginnings".

Charlotte and Ed looked at the certificates with their jaw open in surprise. They were touched by Oswald's kind gesture.

Ed turned around to look at his friend with a smirk on the corner of his lips. "If I didn't know better, I'd accuse you of being a sentimentalist".