Chapter Twelve || Mad city ghosts

"There is so much history in the way he looks at her. In the way he says her name. When they are together, there is a current that runs between them; like an electric charge on the verge of erupting into a perfect storm.

I don't love her anymore, he says.

And it is in the way he says the word, her - that tells me otherwise.

- Lang Leav

A few weeks went by and Charlotte was growing more and more worried

A few weeks went by and Charlotte was growing more and more worried. Ed had disappeared after he forgave her for lying about her and Oswald. She tried calling him multiple times, but it always went to voicemail with Ed's voice saying: 'This is Edward. Leave a message. Or don't. Doesn't really matter'. His voice sounded cold and completely devoid of emotions. Oswald was equally worried and tried calling him too, but Ed never picked up.

Both Oswald and Charlotte climbed the stairs of the City Hall. Oswald would take care of his Mayor duties and Charlotte would help him wherever she could. They were making their way to the Mayor's office when they were stopped by Oswald's assistant. Oswald had asked Charlotte to take that job, but she refused because she thought it was a job with a lot of responsibilities. She didn't want to ruin anything for Oswald. Not to mention she didn't really care much for politics.

"Hey! Ooh," the assistant greeted them excitedly.

"What?" Oswald asked in annoyance.

She immediately tried to contain her excitement and did her best to appear professional. "Mayor, the press have assembled in the conference room. They are requesting your presence".

Oswald glanced at Charlotte worriedly before looking back at his assistant. "The press? Why?"

"The latest figures are in," she told him.

He seemed concerned for a minute, but then he looked determined. "Fine. Let the vultures have at me". He shoved his cane to her chest making her jump a little before grabbing it for him. He started limping towards the room, but then he noticed Charlotte wasn't following after him. "Are you coming or not?"

"I don't think it's a good idea. You go. I'm sure you were successful in managing the city," Charlotte smiled at him and was going to walk to his office when she felt someone grab her wrist and drag her towards the room with all the journalists in. "No, Oswald, stop. Oswald..."

But it was too late. They were already inside and all the journalists turned to look at them. To Oswald's surprise, everyone started cheering and taking pictures of him. He looked around in awe as he walked farther into the room, completely forgetting about Charlotte.

The blonde woman followed after Oswald as his assistant spoke, the excitement back in her voice. "They're through the roof across the board". The three of them reached the front of the room and both women stood on either side of Oswald. "Yeah, jobs are up, market's up. Crime way, way down. You did it. Enjoy the moment, sir".