Chapter Twenty-One || Escape

"Life has taught me that you can't control someone's loyalty. No matter how good you are to them, doesn't mean they'll treat you the same. No matter how much they mean to you, doesn't mean they'll value you the same. Sometimes the people you love the most, turn out to be the people you can trust the least."

- Trent Shelton

Ed sat up straight on the floor of his cage, his eyes glared at an unconscious Penguin on the cage next to his and then on Charlotte who was staring down at him

"Ow," Ed groaned as he massaged his side. The guards had beat him up pretty bad and his whole body hurt. "Why did you call the guards?"

"I wasn't about to let you leave now, was I?" Charlotte answered with a raised eyebrow.

"You're mad because I fell in love with someone else," Ed stated bitterly. "People can fall in love with another person. It happens. Now get over it, Charlotte".

"Who says I didn't already?" She asked back.

Ed had looked down at his hands but her question made him look back up at her with a questioning look. "What?"

"You just assumed I still love you," Charlotte said with annoyance showing up in her tone. "But what if I don't? What if I fell in love with someone else after you shot me. I met some interesting people after you pulled that stunt".

Ed eyed her suspiciously. "Like who?"

"Like... Victor Fries, for example," Charlotte answered as she thought about the handsome man with unique icy blue eyes. "You would remember him. We both studied his case when we worked at the GCPD".

Ed recognized the name and felt bitter that Charlotte would fall in love with him. "Are you talking about Mr. Freeze?" When Charlotte hummed in confirmation, Ed shook his head. "No way. You're lying just to see how I react to it. But you know what? I don't care". Ed cared he was just too proud to admit it to himself. The jealousy he felt left him infuriated.

Charlotte shrugged and sat on the floor with her back against the bars. "Think whatever you like".

Ed was left wondering whether what she was saying was true or not. He liked the idea of her being in love with him, even though he didn't have the guts to admit to himself he still had feelings for her. Having her in love with someone else was unbelievingly frustrating.

Charlotte was trying to piss him off and smirked when she saw his bitter expression. However, her smirk faded when she realized that maybe she wouldn't see Victor Fries again. This realization made her sad. She had to admit, Victor both intrigued and fascinated her. She actually wanted to know more about him.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Oswald started waking up. He groaned and took his hand to his head. He felt a painful headache that didn't seem like it was going away anytime soon.