8

Victor was convinced I couldn't walk on my own, a hand on my arm each time I stood upright on my feet. I only got freedom as I stumbled into my room, throwing my heels into the corner as I headed for my vanity, carefully peeling all the jewlery off myself. "Who knew you could actually be fun?" I scoffed, giggling into madness again at the thought.

"I don't always have the time for fun and games. Tonight I simply loosened the reins," he shrugged, watching me from the doorway. The space between us now was surprising, considering a majority of the night he'd been glued to my hip.

"Then I'd love to see what fun Victor looks like, if this is still mostly bossy Victor." I sighed as my hair fell down my back, massaging my scalp a bit to rub out the sore spots from pins. "Where did you even learn to dance?" He was clearly humored, enough so to the point he seemed unable to even fake irritation with me, but I could tell I wouldn't get an answer.

I leaned against the vanity and took a deep breath, closing my eyes and feeling out my drunken state. "Thank you, for today," I breathed, offering him a light smile when my eyes opened. "I needed some fun." He'd been smiling a majority of the day and it was so odd to find genuine glee on his face, but that was hard to be seen now. The smirk he currently donned was more one of laziness; I seriously doubted I wore him out, his day-to-day activities taken into light.

"I could tell." Rolling my eyes, I waved my hand at him, the nagging from earlier returning to my mind.

"What's with the unicorn stuff?" I wondered. "What leprachuan offered you a pot of gold? Why are you stalking me this time?" He turned it over for a moment, probably attempting to decifer my drunken, spit-fire questions. Before answering, he came and sat himself on my bed, making me scowl as he picked up my cat.

"Mario has been targetted by some people," he explained shortly. "I'm just making sure his bases are covered."

"Which explains why you didn't go to protect him," I realized with a sarcastic nod. Zsasz didn't respond, my brain slowly reaching a conclusion on it's own. The vial of blood he'd given me had not been Lee's. I had heard whispers of the police captian going mad due to something called a Tetch virus, but nothing until now had put me in it's direct path. "Oh," I realized softly. "Good doctor might have a target on her back."

"You don't need to worry about that, Lucian," he informed, looking up from the cat.

"Boogeyman's got me covered," I nodded. "Not worried." Though he did seem to actually enjoy himself today, I knew he'd only done it for a job. I don't know why I expected any different of him. Zsasz set down the stuffed animal and narrowed his eyes at me, not necessarily angry but definately not pleased.

"I'm just here as a precaution," he shrugged. I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair, sighing as I realized that I was never aware of what I was getting myself into before it was a little late to back out.

"Nobody paid you to get me drunk and entertain me," I shrugged. "Tells me you have some sense of free will."

"Old man Falcone personally invited you," Zsasz reminded. "I'm not gunna go against his wishes because it's easier to keep you in one place." I narrowed my eyes at him, wondering when he'd decided to flip his switch since my drunken mind couldn't keep up processing time.

"And that's why you enjoyed yourself so much?" I prompted, a smile slowly curling up my lips as his irritation began showing through. He wasn't stopping me, so I went with it, watching him stand as I spoke. "I've known you for a bit, Victor. I can tell when you actually let yourself relax." I took a deep breath when he came to stand in front of me, his dark eyes trailing me analytically. "You had fun today, there's nothing wrong with that."

"Just don't go around trashing my reputation," he advised, a ghost of amusement about him. "Can't have people thinking I have fun in the mundane things."

"Of course not," I giggled. "No one would take you seriously after what I've seen." He shook his head in agreement, a quiet chuckle leaving him as I felt another nagging question make itself known. "Am I a chicken?"

"You're a doctor, but you should see your face working on some of the people coming through here," he considered. "You're a fraidy cat, yeah."

"No," I huffed, rolling my eyes at him. "Falcone's chickens. They were his distraction from mob life." I folded my arms across my chest and met his gaze. "Am I your distraction?"

"And what if you were?" he asked defensively. I shrugged, honestly not knowing what that meant for myself; I'd at the very least adjusted to his random appearances.

"There's nothing wrong with that, either," I provided. "Everyone needs someone." Zsasz's irritation came even clearer now, turning his head away from me as he processed what I'd said. After a moment of looking him over, I started growing uncomfortable in my dress, stepping around him in search of fresh pajamas.

I hadn't gotten far, maybe two steps in, when he grabbed my arm, my head turning towards him. "Fine, I take it back," I chuckled. "You don't need anyone." My breath hitched when he rested his forehead on mine, my eyes closing as I relaxed into the simple touch.

"You're right," he mumbled. "I don't need anyone. I only want one person." I could feel my face flush, hoping that it didn't radiate far enough for him to feel - if he hadn't already seen it.

"God help that person," I breathed out, a smile coming to my lips when he chuckled.

"You seem to handle it pretty well." If Victor couldn't feel my blush before, he definately could now, the heat in my face doubling as I grew aware of just how close he stood to me. Perhaps it was the liquid courage I'd been ingesting all morning, but I definately had more nerve than I could normally account for, proving so as I tilted my face up and lightly pressed my lips to his.

I could feel a small smile on his lips as his gloved fingers slid over my cheek, falling back a step as I relaxed in his hold. I had barely rested my hands on his chest, feeling out for any detail I could get over his shirt, when his hand left my face, taking both of my hands and holding them away from himself as he pulled away. He didn't go far - his forehead was still rested on mine - my eyes opening as I nodded in understanding.

The emotion across his face was unreadable, and he didn't give me much time to work it out before he'd returned his lips to mine, a little more eager in his movements this go around. He only let go of my hands when I leaned against the vanity, taking hold on my waist and deciding I knew my boundries. I did, even if a part of my brain told me this simple act alone was violating many of our boundries, and I would respect them. I am a doctor, after all.

He didn't have much quarrel when I curled my arms around his neck, one wrapping down his back to keep him close. I was sitting on my vanity at this point, Victor standing between my knees and only drawing us closer. In that moment, I couldn't have cared less if Andrew sprung from his bed and demanded we left Gotham tonight; nothing could pull me away from this.