Clone?

Luther's place was nice. Almost a bit too clean and big for her liking, but nice. He explained that he had a sensitive project that was being worked on and needed someone who could get in and out to check on it quickly.

"I just need you to check up on it's status. If possible I'll see about getting you to imprint on one of the g-nomorphs to get an idea of how the project is going." Luther was being very vague and she wasn't appreciative of that.

"Where am I going? I need a location in order to pocket there." She said glancing around the room. There wasn't anything very discript, just general office things.

"Cadmus. Sub level 42. You'll find my project is behind doors."

"And you can't just go there and check yourself?"

"It's a secret, I can't be seen going to Cadmus and raising suspicion. I also can't get in and out as quickly as you can." Luther was circling her as he spoke. "You can do that for me can't you?"

"I can." She said in a slight mumble. "You just want me to check up on your project and bring back a report?"

"Yes, I'll see what to do with you when you get back." She looked up at him. He was standing in front of a window that happened to overlook the daily planet.

"You want me to go now?"

"Yes. And do be quick about it. I have a lunch in an hour and would like a report before then." He left and she sighed, an errand girl. She had more studying she had to work on when she got back, it would be much better if she didn't have to check up on some science project.

She opened a pocket to the specified location and walked through. The place was dark and not her cup of tea, at least at the harbor she had a way out. Here she's just in a cave. It was an odd setting for a science experiment, but whatever it wasn't her project. She followed the hall to a high tech looking door that happened to be open. She walked in and had to withhold a gasp.

"A clone?" She went over to the computer to pull up the file. "Just over fourteen weeks, being fed an education by g-nomorphs." She stared at the stats, it looked like the experiment was going according to plan. Walking over to the glass that housed the clone she put her hand over the Kr printed on the outside. "I don't know what Luther is planning, but I hope you turn out good."

She hadn't noticed one of the g-nomorphs had shut off his telepathic link in order to observe.

"I imagine he's gonna have me come check up on you again. Stay strong for me okay?" She left through one of her pocket transports. The g-nomorph transmitted images of her sympathy and they continued his education.

She gave her report and Luther had decided to keep her for another week. She had to do another check up and saw the clone process was nearly complete.

"You are designed to be a weapon, but you have so much more potential than that. I know you can be good. Please, you are better than what your built to be. I don't know if he'll send me back here since I'm not technically allowed to interact with you. But it's nice to talk to someone, even if you can't respond." She put her hand to the glass again. "Until next time then." She made it back to the office building and Lex had company. Some reporter from the daily planet had come by and was having an interview with Lex himself.

"Excellent timing young Jess. This is Clark Kent from the Daily Planet. He was asking about work environment. I know you don't work here officially, but if you wanted to give your input I'm sure Mr. Kent would be appreciative." She stared at the reporter for a while, her mind working in overdrive. She recognized this man before her was just in civilian disguise.

"Yes, that would be fantastic. If I could get a word or two from you on the work environment here that would be fantastic." She was sure that he could hear her heart beat pick up. She had to be careful what she said.

"Its not terrible. A little bright with the lighting, but other than that it's not bad." She said avoiding eye contact.

"You sure it's not a circus here?" Kent said and she looked up confused.

"This is nothing like the circus." She said almost immediately. This earned a confused noise from Kent.

"What do you mean?" She shrunk in on herself a bit.

"I-I had a f-friend who grew up in the circus. It's nothing like this. This is far too clean, and more ordered. No elephants to worry about either." She huffed a little after that. It had been a long while since she last thought of the circus.

"Good to know." Kent laughed as well. It was weird to hear since it's still a bit tense.

"May I get back to work Mr. Luther?" Lex nodded and she walked out of the room and into a pocket to wait out Kent until he left.

Once he left she entered the office again.

"I'm keeping you for another week. I already went over the details with your caretaker. He agreed that since the project was almost completed that I should have you on hand when it comes to fruition." She nodded, not exactly looking forward to staying another week at this place.

It wasn't a whole week and something happened. A fire at the building drew the attention of the supers and Lex was mad. It wasn't until the following morning that he got news that his project had been 'rescued'. Lex was beyond mad at this point and was reduced to throwing things around his office. He smacked Jess across the face and glared at her.

"This is all your fault. You weren't careful enough and caused all this." She pulled away and held her stinging cheek. "Get out of here. Go back to the clown for all I care." She wasted no time in leaving, honestly she was glad the clone was rescued, she didn't know who by but he was at least out of Luthers grasp, for now anyways.