The Martians

"You've got to be kidding." Conner said looking at the other costumes around the gym. Almost everyone was dressed as a justice league member, needless to say Jess felt a little out of place.

"I thought Halloween was about dressing as something to ward off evil spirits." Jess muttered and Wally looked back to her with a raised brow.

"And what exactly are you dressed as to ward off spirits?"

"The failed youth in this age of heroes." This earned a questioning look from the other two, but before they were able to ask their questions another group walked up to them. They each commented on each other's costumes while Jess held back a bit.

"Wally, Jess this is Wendy, Karen, Mal and-"

"Ignore Marvin, he thinks we're being invaded by martians."

"I never said that. It's just, reports are all over the interwebs. And I'm not the only one getting them." As soon as he was done talking phone notifications sounded throughout the gym. "I mean Martians aren't invading, it's just a prank gone viral, right?"

"Of course it's a prank. Ever hear of Martian Manhunter? Martians aren't hostile."

"Of course not." Jess could tell this topic was making Megan uncomfortable.

"Marvin was it?" Jess asked making herself the center of attention for the group. "Why would you worry about an alien race if there are far more terrifying things already here?"

"What could be more terrifying than an alien invasion?" Jess raised a brow and got much closer to Marvin.

"Perhaps you haven't done your research on your costume. For example Joker and Scarecrow, both Batman villains, could become a global threat if they so chose. Superman," she glanced over at Mal and Conner. "He could split the planet in half if he made a wrong move. The flash and most of his villains that have the speed force," she didn't look at Wally but could tell she had his attention. "If they moved fast enough they could break through the time barrier we're all trapped in. Or even regular civilians. If they have the scientific know how they could produce a toxin or bomb that could become a terror threat. You are underestimating humans as a threat because of 'aliens'. They would have to travel here first to pose a threat." They all got quiet, even the few that happened to be listening to their conversation. "Worry about what's the closer threat. Martians have the capability to travel here, like Martian Manhunter, but they have yet to invade. I don't think they're going to want to." She reached behind Marvin and grabbed a drink. "Enjoy the dance."

The dance continued fine for a while, that is until the lights went out. Phones went off with notifications of a Martian invasion already having hit two cities. Jess pulled out her phone and checked because she was skeptical and Marvin happened to be missing from the dance floor.

The PA system went off with homeland security telling everyone to remain inside. Another tip off that Jess could use to tell this was a prank. Homeland security wouldn't be this quick to warn of an alien invasion.

She turned away to survey the rest of the gym. She then noticed Wally, Megan and Conner all leave the gym. Slightly put off she frowned and made herself scarce against the wall. After a minute Marvin came running back into the gym shouting about Martians invading and then to prove it he said they killed two of the students already.

"Which two guys?" Megan asked walking up behind him.

"Those two guys." Marvin said pointing to Wally and Conner.

Marvin admitted to having constructed the whole prank. Jess couldn't decide if she was disappointed that she couldn't deal with Marvin herself, or that she wasn't invited to participate in the ruse. She sunk into a pocket and walked outside. She texted Conner.

-Emergency Contact-
Had to go home. J needs me.

-Superboy-
You left already?

-Emergency Contact-
Yeah, J gets mad if I'm late.

"Liar." Conner said as he approached. Jess jumped and turned around. "Why'd you leave? The dance isn't over."

"It's not my scene. I'm not used to being around this many people my age, let alone normal people."

"This was supposed to help with that. Being where you are isn't healthy."

"Guessing you've been talking to Canary. I don't need a shrink. And I've adjusted to living like this for five years. So unless J gets tired of me and kills me I don't think anything is going to change. The heroes have had countless times to rescue me." Jess was trying not to get emotional about the situation, but it was becoming hard. Conner went to put a hand on her shoulder when her attention was diverted to just behind him, and she shrieked and sank to the ground covering her head. rightfully confused Conner looked back and saw a bat flying around one of the lights.

"Are you alright?" He asked crouching down to better gauge her reaction.

"I-is it gone?" He'd never heard her speak so quietly before, and definitely not in such a frightened tone.

"The bat?" He was confused, bats were small and the hero she has the most contact with is probably Batman. She nodded, and he looked back to see the bat still flying around the lamp post. "He's distracted, can I take you somewhere?"

"We heard a scream." Wally said.

"Is everything alright?" Megan asked getting closer.

"I'm not sure." Conner said unsure looking back to the others. Megan looked to Jess who seemed unresponsive. She tried prodding a reaction using her telepathy. She saw silhouettes of bats in a not very well lit area.

"Get out of my head." Jess said glaring at Megan. "I don't need you poking around where you shouldn't be." Jess stood up and took a step back. "You're safer knowing as little about me as possible."

"Jess." Conner tried and held out a hand for her. She shook her head with a torn expression and stepped back into a pocket.

"She has meta powers." Wally said and Conner and Megan looked to each other. "And you both know her? Who is she?" Megan walked over to Wally.

"That was Jester. The one who got the Injustice league out of the swamp, but before you get mad, she saved my life at Belle Reve."

"She's helped me too. And she hasn't asked for any information, and no one has given her info either. She's not a threat at the moment."

"What do you mean she's not a threat? She's with the Injustice league ." Wally was starting to get angry.

"I've been keeping an eye on her since we met. The most she's done is stage a robbery that Batman stopped. She's mostly utilized as an information scout."

"She could still be a threat. We should tell the team."

"She hasn't been a threat yet. But I will tell the team if she does become one. You heard her rant to Marvin about threats, I'll keep an eye on her." Wally seemed unconvinced.

"Could you keep this secret for me." Megan asked and Wally looked torn.

"She also has no friends her age aside from us. Just imagine what she could release if we were to break that friendship." Wally sighed.

"Alright fine. But the second she turns or even hints at turning on us I am bringing this to the League."