xiv. ghost boy

Rowan thought back to that fateful night when she saw them behind the mask. They were clearly inexperienced and never actually trained for a while. So, she decided to help them-

more specifically, him.

That's right everyone, the person behind the mask was a boy. Apparently, he had some experience in Star City, but then something happened and now he's in Gotham.

They called him, Phantom. He was good at disappearing and never being found. Clearly not good enough since Rogue caught him in the act. 

Now, the most surprising part wasn't that Rogue caught him. But, it was the person behind Phantom.

August Lee. Her best friend from football. 

"I don't understand why I have to do this again." 

Rowan was trying to teach August how to successfully fall off a building. He didn't know that it was Rowan behind the domino mask, but she knew who he was. 

Rogue sighed as she sat on the edge of the building, "Practice, dude. Now do it or I'm gonna curb you."

"Curb?"

The girl smirked slightly, "It's where I make you bite the curb as I repeatedly stomp on the back of your head-"

"-Okay, okay!" August huffed out, "I get it, Rogue." He paused and sat next to her, "What do you do for training?"

Rogue was slightly taken aback by his question. She didn't trust him, but he was also August. The boy that always stood up for her and helped her train for football. 

"I run and work out. But, what really helps is–now this is gonna sound weird–I torture myself to become better."

She waited for his expression, but when it did come, it was clearly fake. Rogue wanted to push it away as her being overly suspicious of people, but she couldn't. So, she just put it in the back of her mind.

Phantom nodded and kissed his teeth, "Do you think it will help me?"

"Excuse me?"

"I-I mean I don't wanna step over any boundaries, but I want to be better. And, if that will help, then I will do it."

Rogue hesitated, but then quickly shook her head. She had a mission in an hour, she needed to leave and clear her head, "I need to go."

August stood up, "Where?"

Rogue gave him a hardened glare, "Listen, Ghost Boy, if I'm to teach you, then you better listen. I don't care that you want to get tortured because it's a weird kink of yours or something, but you do not ask questions about my personal life or where I am going, understand?"

August reluctantly nodded, "Understood."

"Good." With that, she fell off the building, accomplishing what he couldn't.

The mission was at Happy Harbor. M'gann was on the roof, scanning for any disturbances. At the same time, the rest of them were in the computer lab with the doctor.

"Everyone online?" M'gann's voice rang through each of their heads. Rowan squinted a little, still feeling uncomfortable with random voices in her head.

Artemis moaned, "Ugh, this is so weird."

"And distracting," Doctor bitch responded, "Coding a distributed algorithm virus on a kiddie computer with less RAM than a wristwatch is hard enough. Now I have to hear teens think in my skull?"