Stay

Oswald x Reader

"Cocoa, my darling?" Oswald offers. He is holding out a mug to you as you are sitting by the fireplace.

"Yes please, dear," you murmur, shaking the sleepiness from your eyes.

He smiles at you as you begin to take a sip and pull a blanket tighter around you. "You look beautiful as always."

You giggle, thinking that's probably not true but he means it anyway.

"I'm so glad to have you with me during the holidays, Y/N. Without mother around, I wasn't quite sure how things would...well, it's no matter."

You reach out to take his hand from across the table, fingertips gracing each other's gently. "Are you okay? I know it must be hard with her gone."

For a moment Oswald is quiet, but then, looking up, he coos, "She would have loved you."

This makes your cheeks grow warm and your heart grow warmer.

"Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas."

"To confess, I haven't gotten you anything. I wasn't sure anything could be good enough for you, and all this Gotham stuff has had me quite busy...I...I'm sorry." He looks nervous, and a bit shamed.

You giggle quietly at first, not meaning for him to hear it. Then it turns into a loud, hardy laugh. You almost can't stop.

Appalled and mouth hanging open, Oswald stutters, "I...I..."

Between gasps you say, "Sorry, Os, it's just...you're on the richest seat in Gotham and are the most romantic man I've ever known. I thought for sure you'd go out of your way to gift me, but of course I don't expect anything from you...just...stay."

He smiles gratefully and kisses your cheek. "Stay. Of course I can stay."

Author's Note: Hmm this was my second Oswald chapter and it turned out okay. The next one is gonna be top notch tho bc it's got me boi Jerome (remember: snow and murder)