Chapter 18

The whole way over to the daycare, I smiled at the pack mates that walked by getting surprised looks.

By the time I got to the gate of the day care I was full on smiling. If a person could get me to shake off my bad mood so quickly it's Sam. The weather seemed to agree with me. Today was a rare sunny and warm day for a December month.

I enjoyed the walk thinking about Sam. I couldn't wait to hug that little bundle of joy. I bet that at this very moment he probably had his head stuck in a book. And I had a few ideas of where he currently took refuge with the book.

Just a few feet past the small cute three feet white wooden painted gate stood Oliver. He was one of the guards I assigned to Keller. That would mean my mate was here.

My stomach clenched nervously. I didn't know what would happen. The last time I saw him I fricking yelled at him. I resisted the urge to turn around and come back later when he wasn't here but then I remembered Sam. I guess I can't avoid him forever.

I stoped walking drawing Oliver's attention to me. He bowed greeting me to which I nodded. I walked up to him.

"How many of you are around?" I asked.

"Including Keller three, alpha." He responded respectfully. I nodded in response walking down the small gravel rocked path. It lead to the brick building that was the daycare and besides it was the playground. It consisted a group of swings, sliding play sets, climbing play sets, and a few other smaller individual play sets scattered around the bigger sets. The playground had a theme color of blue and yellow.

The kids that ranged from 3 to 10 ran around playing and chasing one another. My eyes were instantly entranced by the sight of my mate running chasing the kids as they squeal and laughed trying to get away from him. I smiled I heard the beautiful ring of his laughter sound through the playground joining the others. It was all too much for my heart.

The wide and careless smile he had made him blend in with the other children. He looked so young and free. I wanted to capture this moment forever. The sound of his laughter. The sight of his presence.

I was to absorb to notice as Keller walked up to me calling out my name.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Umm..I just wanted to inform you that no sightings of suspicious events have occurred. My men are surrounding the grounds on watch." He informed me.

"Thank you, Keller." I nodded at him dragging my gaze away from my mate to Keller.

"Of course, alpha." I dismissed him when I felt a small hand tug on my leg.

I looked down to see Kayla, a 5-year old daughter of one of my warrior. She had two pigtails and a small yellow floral dress.

"Alpha!" She exclaimed excitedly. I got down on my knee leveling down to her.

"Kayla! Those are pretty pigtails." I said making her giggle smiling at me shyly. She was adorable.

She grabbed my hand with both of her small chubby one and pulled me over to the group of kids. She squaled excitedly as she pulled me to the group.

The other kid's heads piped up and turned my direction reminding me of prairie dogs noticing my presence. They froze for a second before squealing and running towards me.

I saw above them that Zeiden had spotted me to and he stood frozen in place staring my direction in surprise.

The kids all began to jump up and down repeatedly yelling, "alpha." Some not able to pronounce it correctly. The little ones around me began to pull on my legs making me almost lose my balance.