twenty four | DISAPPEARING ACTS

ISABELLA HELD TIGHTLY ONTO LEE'S GLOVED HAND, as they walked closer to Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth. Lee had finally convinced Jim to let her go to the Children's Hospital Charity Event, while he was at work.

Isabella didn't mind wearing dresses, but growing up on the streets in her younger years meant that she'd never worn anything so... glamorous. While Lee and Jim were busy, the most unlikely person offered to help her get things for the event - Edward Nygma.

He felt bad that he scared her when he got shot at the G.C.P.D, plus wasn't there when Greenwood hurt her, and thought that he could make it up to her by choosing out a dress and shoes for her to wear. She wasn't very picky, and almost chose a onesie for it, but in the end he got her a green dress that was frilly at the bottom, and covered her arms in a sort of flowery patten.

"Excuse me," Lee intervened as Bruce and Alfred were talking. "I'm Lee Thompkins. I've heard you already met Isabella. I work with Jim Gordon. He's mentioned you. I saw you and thought-"

"Oh, of course. It's very nice to meet you, and see Isabella again. It's been a while," Bruce smiled politely, shaking Lee's hand. Isabella blushed slightly as he shook her own too, causing him to chuckle at her.

"Nice to meet you."

"This is my guardian, Alfred Pennyworth."

Alfred grinned widely, taken aback by Lee's beauty as he forced out, "Its an absolute pleasure... How are you, Miss Isabella?"

"... Good," she hesitantly replied, earning an encouraging nod from Lee.

"How is Detective Gordon doing since the attack on the precinct? I was thinking I should call him," Bruce questioned, the mood of their conversation dropping darker than before.

"He'd appreciate that."

Bruce then noticed Selina in the corner of his eye, and decided it would be a good idea to see her again.

"Can I get either of you a drink?" He asked.

"Uh, a glass of water for Isabella would be great. Thank you."

Bruce sped off, leaving the other three to stand there awkwardly.

Alfred broke the tension by saying, "So, I hear there's going to be a magician..."

〰〰〰〰

"Thank you for filling in on such short notice!" The woman in front of them sighed with content. "But how did you hear our magician dropped out, Mr..."

"Rudolpho," Jerome lied, the fake beard and mask covering his eyes starting to itch. "Well, you know, magic."

The woman chuckled, but it sounded more like a scoff.

Jerome glanced at Tabitha, who was standing beside the open chest.

"Oh, I won't be needing that."

It shut over the poor man, who was whimpering against the rag in his mouth.

〰〰〰〰