Try A Little Tenderness

15
Try A Little Tenderness

Sleep came easy for no one.

Wade tossed and turned all night. The moment he got a lick of sleep, vivid images plagued the dreamless void. Every time he dozed off, he saw the same thing. A bleeding carnation dripping blood on to his forehead.

Jericho found it hard to get a good night's rest. Not because he wasn't tired, not even because of Tara's nightmares. Simply because the man he used to love was hurting and he couldn't be there for him. Because he's not the one Wade needs.

Rose never slept much anyway. That night, she stayed awake for a reason. She waited for Jason to come back and talk some sense into Wade. She waited, and waited, but he never returned.

Rachel and Gar spent a considerable amount of time in her room that night. In the week since Calvin's breakdown, they noticed a change. A change that left the both of them concerned.

On Rachel's end, she faced a radio silence from her father. He'd gone from a scream to a whisper. If that. In the silence, she'd found enough peace to garner more control over her abilities. An empath at heart, Rachel could sense the turmoil inside her brother's body.

In her own nightmares, she saw 2 paths. One path of light and the other of fire and destruction. The path of light seemed further and further away.

Calvin had changed before Gar's eyes. He barely left his bedroom and he didn't want to play video games anymore. He didn't even want to hang out anymore. Gar missed Calvin. He missed Calvin all the time. Even though he was right down the hall, he missed Calvin.

Calvin slept like a baby. Nestled in the darkness of his bedroom. Floating in the air as his father's power swarmed around him. The gemstone in his forehead glowing like a beacon. In his dreams, he was with his father again.

Alister caught wisps of sleep that night. He wanted to stay up and work on the device but his brain, and his fiancé, wouldn't let him. He was sure Dick gave Kory orders to body check him if he stepped foot in the lab. So he forced himself to sleep. Though, in his dreams, he had memories of a man that didn't exist anymore.

Vosh and Conner spent the night together. For the first time in months, they had a real talk. Nothing was fixed, of course, but they were in a better place. So much so, that Conner agreed to accompany him to his appointment with Lex Luthor in the morning.

Dick and Kory stood watch over the prisoner in the basement all night. None of their interrogation methods worked. Knockout refused to talk to anyone. Anyone but Vosh.

All in all, no one got much sleep. Tara's nightmares made it much worse. The entire building quaked to her terrors.

Alister woke up bright and early. He spent a considerable amount of time in the shower. He stepped out of the restroom and found Dick leaned against the dresser.

"Did she talk?" He asked. A towel wrapped around his waist.

"No." Dick answered. His tired eyes followed Alister across the room. "She won't talk to anyone but Vosh."

"Vosh?" Alister asked. He stepped beside Dick and pulled a pair of underwear from the top dresser.

Dick nodded. "Do you think we should let him?" He asked.

"I think you should call Scandal. Maybe Kay will respond to her." He said as he pulled on his underwear.

"I don't think so. That woman, she's not human anymore. She's a zombie, a shell. Someone's controlling her." He said with the shake of his head.