Chapter 22 - Can I save everyone?

Firefly flew straight after the Batwing, trying to singe the wings and take it down. However, this was proving to be a more difficult task than he thought as the Batwing deployed flares to temporarily blind him. While he kept following the aircraft, Batman was already busy infiltrating the bridge to search for the hostages and rescue them from their captors. As soon as he entered the structure, Izuku was contacted by Kyoka. 

"Hey Izu, I know you're saving people right now but... the baby is gonna be a girl. I'm sorry but I had to tell you now." She said .

"That's great," he replied, "I can't wait to meet the little lady. And I'm sure Eri will when she returns from training in the US with one of my old masters." He then continued his journey through the old structure, searching for hostages. 

Eventually, he made it to the Northern pillar of the bridge and found a group of armed men with hostages all gathered in the centre with a person with a flamethrower.

"Why are you doing this? Please let us go!" One woman pleaded but this didn't go over well for her. The man with the flamethrower walked over to her and pointed it directly in her face.

"Shut it lady! The only reason you're still alive is because we need hostages to get to the bat. But we don't mind wasting a few of you if ya don't keep your mouth shut! Speak up again if you want me to melt ya face into charcoal!" There was no response.

"That's what I thought. Keep your eyes open boys, the bat could be here already."

Batman surveyed his surroundings, planning out how he was going to rescue the civilians and incapacitate the thugs guarding them. There was 8 enemies and 3 hostages, if he tried to save them without taking the enemies out then the civilians would certainly die. He needs to clear the room first. He surveyed his surroundings, noticing lots of things he could use to his advantage. There was no time to waste.

One thug made the mistake of walking directly under a large metal beam before being grabbed by his body and pulled up into the darkness. All that the others heard was a scream of pain and fear.

"Someone's injured, you two go take a look. Everyone else, guard the hostages." The remaining 7 cocked their guns while 2 of which journeyed to the source of the noise. When they got there though, there was nothing there or anybody. 

"Nothing over here, but they are missing." And then immediately after, a body dropped down directly in front of them, making them panic and one to accidentally shoot and the wall. Thankfully no bullets hit the unconscious man strung up by wire. However, some of his teeth were missing and some blood was on his face.

"Never mind, we found him." 

"Yeah he's pretty banged up. Do you think the bat got him o-" The body dropped to the floor with a thud causing them to immediately turn around again before their heads were smashed together, rendering them both unconscious.

"Three down, five to go." Batman said to himself.

One of the thugs tried to be smart and took a hostage but Batman was already a step ahead and had fired a disruption round into their weapon, jamming it and preventing them from shooting if he got spotted. However, the thug had the weapon pointed at the civilian's head. He was beginning to sweat bullets (no pun intended), thinking of how Batman would break his bones. Unfortunately, he was right and a hand grabbed his leg through the floor and only some eyes stared back from the darkness. He tried firing the jammed weapon but to no avail as he was dragged to the abyss. Another criminal heard this and journeyed over, only to get his head smashed against a railing and be pulled over an edge and left to hang there.