014 - Do I Scare You?

014

— do i scare you? —

THE SMALL TRAIN WINDOW LET THE LIGHTS FLASH BY AS THE TRAIN SPED DOWN THE TRACKS. Hazel looked out the window, resting her head on her arm. Gar tapped her leg softly and she looked up, shuffling closer to him. "No sugar added, vegan vanilla pudding. Designed to appeal to those seeking a gluten-free, low-calorie dessert," Gar read aloud from the menu.

"Sounds healthy," Hazel hummed, leaning to look over Gar's shoulder at the menu.

"Sounds disgusting," Kory countered. Hazel leant back in her seat, resting her head against the train window again, sliding the charm on her necklace back and forth. "I'll be right back," Kory announced, standing and walking to the train's bar.

Hazel watched her walk away for a moment before sighing, curling her arms under her chin. Hazel's phone buzzed in her pocket, and she slid it out, flipping it over in her hand. "Who was that?" Kory asked, setting three shots on the small train table between them.

"Rachel," Hazel answered, quickly reading the text. "She and Angela got seats up front." She sighed and slid the phone back into her pocket. "As much as I wanna join her, I think they need some alone time."

Gar nodded and set the menu down. "You wanna play a game? I got chess," Gar asked, pulling his phone out.

"Not right now, but I'll watch," Hazel said shifting so she could rest her head against Gar's shoulder.

A little under an hour later, Kory stood, making her way back to the small train bar again. Hazel lifted her head from the back of the seat and spun to face Gar. "Hey, Gar?" Hazel called softly. Gar hummed and clicked his phone off, turning to Hazel. "Do I scare you?"

Gar furrowed his eyebrows and tossed his phone on the small table, "Why would you scare me?"

"At the Asylum, when I stopped those guards," Hazel said in a low voice, scraping under her nails as if the blood was still there. "And the doctors, the blood... I've never done that before. You flinched. I just... I don't want you to be scared of me."

Gar smiled and slid his hand over Hazel's, stopping the constant scraping. "Hazel, you don't scare me," Gar said in a soft voice. "I don't think you can." Hazel smiled and looked down at their hands, focussing on the way Gar's thumb traced her knuckles.

"You kids alright?" Kory asked, setting another round of drinks down.

The train brakes screeched, and Hazel winced slightly. "Yeah," Hazel nodded. "Uh, I need a sec. I'll be right back." Hazel squeezed past Kory and walked to the small bathroom.