001 - Mistakes Are Disguised Lessons

001

— mistakes are disguised lessons—

March 19, 2021

Dayton Labs, San Francisco

THE LAB HAD BEEN SEALED MONTHS AGO, YET DAMAGE WAS LEFT BEHIND. Nightwing motioned ahead and Hazel nodded. Hazel rushed to the stacked pods of water, and jumped on top, grabbing the window edge. She pulled herself up, sliding in without a sound. Hazel brushed off her gloves and stood. She wore the same dark green and gold suit Bruce Wayne had gifted her, except now it was paired with a pair of Terran's dark boots.

Dayton Lab was San Francisco's head lab of chemicals research and experimentation, holding some of the dangerous diseases and sicknesses. Gizmo, an annoying rising threat, had been looting banks and smaller chemical warehouses for just under a week. With the danger level of the chemicals growing and the Titans closing in, he made a run for Dayton Labs. But in his rush, a witness saw him and less than five minutes later the Titans were on scene.

Hazel leaned against the railing as rushing footsteps grew closer. A dozen of Gizmo's men rushed down the upper stairs and tried running across the metal bridge closing the gap of the floor, but Hazel whistled quickly. "Hello, boys," Hazel cooed, pushing herself off the railing. They stopped and before any of them could shoot at her, Hazel threw her hand up, willing two thick vines to break through the floor to knock the men back.

The closest one quickly pulled himself to his feet, grabbing his gun tight. Hazel kicked his knee and grabbed his arm, swinging him into the railing. She kicked him off, a vine rushing to grab his foot to hang him off the edge. The others scrambled to the feet and Hazel quickly shot a flare out, making the men groan. She kicked two others over the railing, vines weaving to grab them as well.

The last stood and Hazel ran at him. Her legs locked around his neck and swung him around, slamming him into the metal grate floor. She waved her hands and vines wound around him to hold him in place. "Too easy," Hazel said with a laugh.

Hazel jumped over the railing, landing on her floor with a slight huff. She looked around before heading towards the sound of tiger growls. Hazel chuckled to herself as she walked by Gar's discarded clothes, his jacket folded neatly but his pants, shirt and shoes and been tossed aside carelessly. Hazel scooped them up and walked down a flight of stairs, catching up to Conner, Krypto and the very green tiger.

Hazel set Gar's clothes behind a wall and Gar ran behind it, his bones cracking as he transformed back. "Any trouble?" Hazel questioned Conner, crossing her arms.

"Nope," Conner confirmed with a smile. Gar joined them and they caught up to Kory and Dick who stood a few metres away from Gizmo's van. Gizmo threw himself from the van, a ray gun in his hand and wide, victorious smile on his face. He turned towards Nightwing, his smug smile dropping as he noticed the other Titans standing with him.