6. Becoming

(Y/N) and Alfred sat in the cave, looking over diagrams.

Alfred pointed at one of the items. "If we order the main part of this cowl from Singapore-"

"Via a shell corporation," (Y/N) added.

"Indeed. Then, quite separately, place an order through a Chinese manufacturer for these." He pointed to another item.

(Y/N) nodded. "Put it together ourselves."

"Precisely. Of course, they'll have to be large orders, so as to avoid suspicion."

"How large?"

"Say, ten thousand."

(Y/N) smiled. "Well, at least we'll have spares."

—-

In the applied sciences division, (Y/N) walked over to Fox's desk.

"What is it today?" Fox asked. "More spelunking?"

"No," (Y/N) said. "Today, it's BASE jumping."

"BASE jumping? What, like parachuting?"

"I need some kind of lightweight grappling hook..."

"For what?"

"BASE jumping is illegal. You can't just take the elevator."

"We've got suction pads, grapples..."

"Any good?"

"Nope. But this thing's pretty neat."

Fox walked over to one of the crates and opened it. Inside was a bronze-colored grappling gun and harness.

"Pneumatic. Magnetic grapple. Monofilament tested to 350 pounds."

(Y/N) picked up the harness and the grapple, clicking the gun into the belt. "Too expensive for the army?"

Fox took it back. "Guess they never thought about marketing to the billionaire BASE jumping, spelunking business."

"Look, Mr. Fox, if you're feeling uncomfortable-"

"Mr. (L/N), if you don't tell me what you're really doing, then when I get asked, I won't have to lie. But don't treat me like an idiot."

"Fair enough."

Fox turned and motioned for (Y/N) to follow. "Come on. I'll show you something."

They walked to the loading dock, where Fox handed (Y/N) a sheet of black fabric.

"Notice anything?" Fox asked.

(Y/N) shrugged while Fox placed a glove on his hand.

"Memory fabric," Fox explained. "Dual layer polymers with variable alignment molecules. Flexible ordinarily, but put a current through it..." He placed his gloved hand on the fabric, which popped into a rigid shape. "The molecules align and become rigid."

(Y/N) pressed on the fabric, feeling how strong it was.

"It could be tailored to any structure based on a rigid skeleton," Fox informed him.

(Y/N) stared at the fabric, then noticed a large shape underneath a tarp.

Massive wheels could be seen from underneath.

"What's that?"

"The Tumbler? Oh, you wouldn't be interested in that."

—-

The Tumbler shot across the test track. (Y/N) sat in the driver's seat with a devilish smile on his face as the Tumbler sped up. Fox sat in the passenger seat, holding on for dear life.