21. Project Insight

(Y/N) and Steve entered the Triskelion in Washington, D.C the following day. Both of them wished to speak to Fury about Natasha's antics on the Lemurian Star, and what exactly had happened.

Fury, Agent Hill, and the Avengers were the only people outside Gotham to know that (Y/N) was Batman. S.H.I.E.L.D still believed Fury's lie, which had since become more elaborate. To account for the few times (Y/N) ever visited the Triskelion, Fury made up another lie about (L/N) Enterprises helping with a classified project.

(Y/N) followed Steve into Fury's office. The super-soldier immediately accused Fury of lying.

"You can't just stop yourself from lying, can you?" He asked rhetorically.

"I didn't lie," Fury said calmly. "Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours."

"The hostages could have died," (Y/N) said. "At least tell us why."

"The greatest soldier in history and Gotham's Dark Knight together prevented that from happening."

"Soldiers trust each other," Steve said. "That's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns."

"The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I don't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."

(Y/N) scoffed. "Downloading a few files? Sure, that makes me uncomfortable."

"Weren't you the one who fought and killed Ra's Al Ghul?"

"I didn't kill him. He died from an explosion."

"Sure." There was a hint of venom in Fury's voice.

The statement irritated (Y/N), but he chose not to speak further. Steve, however, did.

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own."

"It's called compartmentalizations," Fury explained half-jokingly. "Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all."

"Except you," Steve said accusingly.

"You two're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that."

Fury led the two of them to an elevator nearby, and stepped inside.

"Insight Bay," Fury told the computer.

"Captain Rogers and Mr. (L/N) do not have clearance for Project Insight."

"Director override. Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed."

The elevator began to move down.

"You know, they used to play music," Steve remarked.

"It kinda contributed to the motion sickness I get from these things, if I'm being honest," (Y/N) said.

"My grandfather operated one of these things for forty years," Fury began. "My granddad worked in a nice building, he got good tips. He'd walk home every night, roll of ones in his lunch bag. He'd say 'hi,' people would say 'hi' back. Time went on, neighborhood got rougher. He'd say 'hi,' they'd say 'keep on steppin'.' Granddad got to grippin' that lunch bag a little tighter."

(Y/N) empathized with the story, recalling the incident that got his parents killed. "Did he get mugged?"

"Every week some punk would say 'what's in the bag?'"

"What happened?"

"He'd show 'em. Bunch of crumpled ones and a .22 Magnum." He smiled. "Granddad loved people, but he didn't trust them very much."