20. The Boy Wonder

At first glance, Peter Parker seemed like the average teenager coming home to the apartment he lived in with his Aunt May.

May was sitting on the couch with (Y/N) and Tony, both of whom Peter didn't notice when he entered.

"Hey, May," Peter said upon entering.

"Hey. How was school today?" She asked.

"Okay," Peter answered. "This crazy car parked outside..." He then noticed Tony and (Y/N).

"Oh, Mr. Parker," Tony greeted him. "Peter, this is (Y/N) (L/N), head of (L/N) Enterprises. (Y/N), this is Peter."

"Nice to meet you, kid," (Y/N) said.

"Um..." Peter took out his earbuds. "What--what are you doing . . .? Hey! Uh, I'm--Im--I'm Peter."

"(Y/N), this is the kid I was telling you about," Tony mentioned to his fellow billionaire.

"What are . . .what are you--what are you--what are you doing here?" Peter asked.

"It's about time we met. You've been getting my e-mails, right?" Tony asked. "I forwarded them to (Y/N) here, I hope you don't mind. Our companies work pretty closely nowadays."

"Yeah. That's fine. Regarding the..."

"You didn't tell me about the grant," May said.

"About the grant," Peter finished.

"The September Foundation," (Y/N) added.

"Right."

"Yeah. Remember applying?"

"Yeah."

"Tony and Lucius approved. I don't technically own (L/N) Enterprises anymore, but, hey, my name's on the building. Anyways, it'll be good to work with you."

"You didn't tell me anything," May said. "What's up with that? You keeping secrets from me now?"

"Why, I just, I just . . . I just know how much you love surprises, so I thought I would
let you know . . . wh . . . anyway, what did I apply for?" Peter stumbled over his words.

"That's what we're here to hash out," Tony said.

"Okay. Hash, hash out, okay."

"It's so hard for me to believe that she's someone's aunt," Tony said, casually mentioning May.

"Yeah, well, we come in all shapes and sizes, you know?" May seemed flattered by the statement.

"This walnut date loaf is exceptional," (Y/N) said, holding his half-eaten piece up.

"Let me just stop you there," Peter said.

"What's up?" (Y/N) answered first.

"Is this grant, like, got money involved or whatever? No?"

"Of course. It's well-funded. Got two of the richest dudes on the planet heading it. If only Elon accepted my offer..."

"He'll come around," Tony assured him. "Probably still working on that electric jet of his."

"No, I think he's trying to put a car in orbit."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Tony turned to May. "Can we get five minutes with him?"

"Sure."

They went into Peter's room. Tony spit out the date loaf into the trash. "As far as walnut date loaves go, that wasn't bad."

"I kind of liked it," (Y/N) shrugged, then noticed some of the old computers Peter had. "Not bad. Where'd you get it?"

"Uh, the garbage, actually."

"Dumpster diving?"

"Yeah... anyway, look, um, I definitely did not apply for your grant."

Tony interrupted him. "Me first."

"Okay."

"Quick question of the rhetorical variety," Tony said, pulling out his phone and showing Peter a video of a man in a red suit catching a bus. "That's you, right?"

"Um, no. What do you... what do you mean?"

(Y/N) whistled. "That's one big bus, Parker. Gotta say, I'm impressed."

"That's all- That's all on YouTube, though, right?" Peter asked. "I mean, that's where you found that? Because you know that's all fake. It's all done on the computer."

Tony made a small 'mm-hm' noise and started looking around Peter's room.

"It's like that video," Peter went on. "What is it?"

"The UFO's in Arizona?" (Y/N) inquired.

"Exactly."

"Oh, what have we here?" Tony asked as he pulled Peter's suit out of the closet.

Peter quickly rushed in and hid it away. "Uh . . . that's a . . ."

"So you're the spider guy?" (Y/N) said, asking the obvious.

"S . . . Spider-Man."

(Y/N) nodded, then turned and looked at it. "Well, Spider-Man, we've got to get something better..."

"Sorry, why are you... here, in my room, Mr. (L/N)? Shouldn't you be out with some Russian ballet dancer right about now?"

(Y/N) smirked a little. "Anybody else know?"

"Nope."

"Not even your... unusually attractive aunt?" Tony chimed in.

"No. No, no. No, no. If she knew, she would freak out. And when she freaks out, I freak out."

"You know what I think is really cool?" Tony asked, inspecting the suit. "This webbing. That tensile strength is off the charts. Who manufactured that?"

"I did."

"And climbing walls, what do you use for that?" (Y/N) asked. "Adhesive gloves? Oh, wait, maybe magnets?"

"It's a long story. I was uh . . ." Peter paused. "Wait, why are you here again? You're not even an Avenger."

(Y/N) handed the suit to Tony and pulled a batarang out of his pocket and threw it into the wall, narrowly missing Peter, who ducked. "That's why."

Peter looked at the batarang in his wall, then back at (Y/N). "Wait, so you're..."

"Yes, now keep your voice down. It'll defeat the whole 'anonymous superhero' gig."

"That's what I'm trying to say!"

Tony was looking at the lenses in Peter's suit. "Lordy! Can you even see in these?"

"Tony, give the kid a break," (Y/N) said before turning back to Peter. "So what's your story?"

"Well, there was this spider that bit me... Then my uncle died. That sucked."

(Y/N) nodded. "You and I aren't so different, you know."

Peter agreed. "Yeah... well, you were kind of my inspiration. Batman, I mean."

"I'm glad to hear it. But, uh, look, you're going to need some upgrades. I think Tony can provide that. You ever been to Germany? Lovely this time of year."

"No, I haven't."

"It's great."

"I can't go to Germany!"

"Sure, you can. It's a weekend, after all. Just tell your aunt you're coming to Gotham to see my company."

Peter nodded. "Alright... Going to Gotham to see (L/N) Enterprises. Got it."

(Y/N) smiled. "Nice to meet you, Spider-Man."