18. We Have A Hulk

When Steve and Tony made it back inside the bridge, Fury had some bad news. Thor and Bruce were missing, and Agent Coulson had been killed by Loki.

(Y/N), Steve, Tony, and Fury sat at a conference table on the helicarrier. (Y/N) had since removed his cowl. Fury threw a handful of cards, wet with blood, onto the table. (Y/N) could see that they were in fact the Captain America trading cards mentioned earlier.

Fury spoke. "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Steve looked at the cards, a sense of guilt in his eyes.

"We're dead in the air up here," Fury said. "Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Think I had that coming. Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea - Stark and (L/N) know this - called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. See if they could work together to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

Tony suddenly stood and walked out.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion."

—-

(Y/N) had put his cowl back on and was now in the hangar, sitting in the Batmobile with the canopy raised. He was scrolling through some system preferences, then saw Tony in his armor walking over to the open bay doors.

"When the fight comes, we'll need you," (Y/N) said.

Tony turned back, his faceplate lifting. "Don't count on it, Batman."

"You're one of the best people for this job. Don't bail now."

Tony smirked. "I'm not bailing." His faceplate clamped down and he flew out of the helicarrier.

A little while later, Steve, along with Natasha and Clint (who had been rehabilitated), entered the hangar.

"You ready?" Steve asked, getting straight to the point.

(Y/N) stood, stepping out of the Batmobile. "Can we get it on the jet?"

"How do you think we got it here?" Natasha asked.

A nod from the caped crusader.

He followed them to one of the quinjets, where an engineer tried to get them off.

"Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here."

"Son," Steve turned to him, "Just don't."

—-

Tony flew down above Stark Tower, where Selvig was activating the device containing the Tesseract.

"Shut it down, Dr. Selvig," Tony ordered.

"It's too late!" The mind-controlled scientist raved. "She can't stop us now. She wants to show us something! A new universe."

"Okay."

Tony shot the device, which backfired. Tony was thrown back, and so was Selvig.

"The barrier is pure energy," J.A.R.V.I.S spoke. "It's unbreachable."

"Yeah, I got that."

Tony looked down to see Loki on the platform outside the penthouse region of the tower.