16. Loki's Plot

The team was watching as Fury explained to Loki what would occur if he attempted to escape on the conference table. As he finished, Steve and (Y/N) turned theirs off.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Beamer remarked.

"Loki's gonna draw this out," Steve said. "Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They are not of Asgard, nor any world known. He means to lead them against your people, in return for, I suspect, the Tesseract."

"Aliens?" (Y/N) asked. "Like, from outer space? He's building another portal," (Y/N) assumed.

"That's what he needs Erik Selvig for," Bruce added.

"Selvig?" Thor asked.

"He's an astrophysicist."

"He's a friend."

"Loki has them under some kind of spell, along with one of ours," Natasha added.

"I want to know why Loki let us take him," Steve pondered. "He's not leading an army from here."

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki," Bruce said. "That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you can smell crazy on him."

"But," (Y/N) began, "He's got to be planning something. And that plan has something to do with taking us out of the sky and probably killing us in the process. His gears will always be turning."

"Watch yourself, man of bats. Loki is beyond reason," Thor added, "But he is of Asgard, and he is my brother."

"He killed eighty people in two days," Natasha told him.

"Christ," (Y/N) mumbled.

"...He's adopted."

"I think it's about the mechanics," Bruce said. "Iridium, what do they need the Iridium for?"

Suddenly, Tony and Coulson walked in together. "It's a stabilizing agent," Tony said. Coulson moved away from Tony, towards Thor.

"So it doesn't collapse like at S.H.I.E.L.D?" (Y/N) asked.

"Exactly. It also means that the portal can stay open as long as Loki wants."

"Which means more headaches for us."

Tony walked over to the control panels and spoke. "Ah, raise the mizzenmast mast, ship the topsails." The personnel gave him a look. "That man is playing Galaga! Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did."

Tony stood at the command area, messing with some of the screens. "How does Fury even see these?"

"He turns," Maria said with a slight attitude.

"Sounds exhausting!" He stuck something to the underside of a desk, earning an eyebrow raise from (Y/N), who was the only one who noticed it. "The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source - of high-energy density, something to kick start the cube."

"When did you become an expert on thermonuclear astrophysics?" Maria asked.

"Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the extraction theory papers - am I the only one who did the reading?"

(Y/N) raised his hand. "I did."

Tony raised a finger. "Good man."

"Does Loki need any particular type of energy source?" Steve asked.

"He'd have to heat the cube to a hundred and twenty million kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier," Bruce said.

"Unless Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the Quantum Tunneling effect," Tony said.